Wiring a 2 pair cat 5 cable to a RJ-45 connector.

learnnetnet

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
I have a long 2 pair cat 5 cable which I want to use to connect a ADSL modem to my desktop (located in a different room). I took the cable to few local computer dealers but none of them could help me connect an RJ-45 connector to it. They can only connect a 4 pair cat 5 cable. I could not find any help on the internet either.

Can anyone please explain the step by step method to connect a 2 pair cat 5 Ethernet cable to a RJ-45 connector. Kindly use simple language. I have attached an image of the cable for your reference.
Here is the image url - - http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/2paircat5.jpg
2paircat5.jpg

learnnetnet

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

I am not able to understand from the above articles. I am aware that Ethernet uses only four slots in the RJ-45 connector. The image I have uploaded has 2 pairs (4 wires). Can you explain it in the following way:-
Insert orange wire in slot 1. Insert white wire in slot 2. Insert blue wire in slot 3 and so on.

learnnetnet

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Based on the above replies I have finally figured this out. I have successfully wired the cable to a RJ-45 connector. Here is the solution in a simple and non technical manner.
Ethernet uses only slots 1,2,3,6 in a RJ-45 connector. The cable I have used has one orange wire , one blue wire and two white wires. One of the white wires is paired with the orange wire and other one is paired with the blue wire. I will call these two white wires orange white and blue white based on their pairing with orange and blue wires. To make a 2 pair cat 5 cable insert the four wires in RJ-45 slots in the following manner.

RJ-45----------- 2 Pair Cat 5 (UTP)
1 -------------- orange white
2 -------------- orange
3 -------------- blue white
6 -------------- blue

The Ethernet cable was made to connect an internet modem to a desktop/laptop. Thus it was a straight cable.

Thanks to both hometownfl and bill001g for their help.

hometownfl

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Nice job figuring it out! Sorry, I would've helped more but I haven't checked the forum for a while.

I can't believe those computer dealers didn't know that though. Orange and green is always the data, unless it's gigabit.

marky123

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Hi Guys. I have 2 pair cable that i want to use rj45 connectors at each end of this cable. I basically want to create an Ethernet cable. The colours i have are Blue, White, Black and green. Can anybody tell me what colours to use in slots 1236? Thanks

Ashiqurrahman

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

Use any color configuration in pin 1236 as the cable isn't using any standard code. But use same configuration at both end.