Wiring Cat6 Cable to Phone line for DSL Internet

lilone21804

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
I currently have dsl internet through Verizon. When the tech came, he attached a cat5 cable to an existing phone line in my daughter's room and ran it to this little box which he hardwired in. On the other side of the box was a regular phone line jack. From the little box, a normal phone line was ran to the modem. I recently dropped new cat6 lines all over my home and now I want to replace the cat5 cable that he installed with a cat6 and move it to another phone jack in the kitchen. I already ran a cat6 line to this location, just need to connect it to the phone line. Problem is that the phone jack in my daughter's room is different than the one in the kitchen.

1. What wires from the new cat6 line would I need to connect to this new phone jack?

2. Would I use the same wiring scheme that the tech use to connect the cat5 line to the little box, or since I'm now using a cat6 line would I use a different scheme?

This is the old phone line where the tech connected the cat5 line to. The bottom two are the ones he connected.

photo1.jpg

This is the little box where to cat5 line runs to.

photo2.jpg

This is the new line in the kitchen I want to connect the new cat6 cable to.

photo3.jpg

Existing wires in the new location (kitchen)

photo4.jpg

Solution
This is a nice diagram of the wire colors. You can really use any of the wires in the cat5/6 cables you want as long as you are consistent. It is just very common to run the blue/blue white for phone. Part of the reason this is done is the blue/blue white pair are in the center of your standard rj45 jack. This means you can plug a standard rj11 plug into a standard rj45 jack and you can then use the blue/blue white for telephone without modifing the jacks.
But in a home install any colors work just fine.

http://www.lanshack.com/wire_phone_jack.aspx
usually DSL you can use on any phone jack in the house unless its a seperate line.

But as far as the Cat5 and Cat6 question goes they are the same color scheme and everything. Just a thicker wire and they usually have a plastic center piece to keep the 4 pairs apart to prevent cross talk. So yes you would just use the same exact scheme. You could even use your existing Cat6 wiring in your house to move it to a room as long as its connected the same way on the end at the box.

lilone21804

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

Thanks for the response. I just updated the post and was able to add the pictures. Maybe it might make some more sense now.

This is a nice diagram of the wire colors. You can really use any of the wires in the cat5/6 cables you want as long as you are consistent. It is just very common to run the blue/blue white for phone. Part of the reason this is done is the blue/blue white pair are in the center of your standard rj45 jack. This means you can plug a standard rj11 plug into a standard rj45 jack and you can then use the blue/blue white for telephone without modifing the jacks.
But in a home install any colors work just fine.

http://www.lanshack.com/wire_phone_jack.aspx

Solution

TRENDING THREADS