Wiring Cat6 Keystone jacks. Diagrams are different

Apr 12, 2018
Hi all, hoping someone can shed some light on things.

So this week I had to rerun the Coax (RG59 to RG6) lines in my house. Since there was enough room we ran Cat6 along with it, we decided to run that as well. When hooking up the rooms I went out and got Cat6 keystone jacks for it all from HomeDepot (it was 9PM, I was weak and tired). It having been roughly 15 years since I've used my punch down tool I went with the instructions for the wiring diagram that came with the jacks. After completing the installs, testing with a continuity tester, and hooking up a laptop to test the runs, it all ran fine. Haven't done a load test yet, but internet speed tests showed I was pulling down/up what I should be.

When looking online to grab some patch cables for the new setup (router and modem are changing location) I was reminded that everyone in the US uses T568B wiring. The jacks were wired for T568A according to the directions. Potential hiccup #1. Then when looking at wiring diagrams for T568A vs B I noticed my jacks wiring diagram was significantly different from anything I was seeing online, so potential hiccup #2.
For reference, the install sheet for the jacks https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/ed/ed9d6660-cce1-4d7b-9e4a-d88c3740f557.pdf

So my concern now is
1) am I going to run in to issues with T568A wired jacks and T568B wired patch cables
2) did I even wire the damn thing with T568A?
3) should I go through and rewire it all?

The signals can't see the color of the wires. If you look at 100 pair cables used for large patch panel to patch panel use there are far more colors than the 4 you see in most cables.

As long as the wire pairs are correct it will work. So for example if pins 1&2 are using purple wires as long as pin1 and pin2 on both ends use the purple wires it will work fine. What does not work is if you connect different color pairs on different ends of the cable. This would cause say pin 1 to be connected to pin 3 for example.

So it doesn't really matter which standard you follow as long as both end of each cable are the same.

Apr 12, 2018

That was what I was thinking was the case as well. According to the Fluke tester I was able to borrow, all the pairs match up, and I was able to get functionality out of the cabling. I guess I'm trying to double check everything and also insure that the odd wiring diagram CE Tech used isn't going to cause any mishaps for speed/reliability.