Question Wiring mini PCI-E to PCI-E for Graphics Card in Laptop

Nov 11, 2019
I have an old laptop and GPU that are pretty much worthless. The laptop is a Gateway nv55c57u and the gpu is a MSI GT 710. I want to place the GPU directly in the laptop just for fun. I will be leaving out the disk drive to make room for the GPU. I was trying to find an adapter that goes from mini PCI-E to PCI-E 1x but they are either too big to fit inside the laptop or too expensive. One problem is that the card requires 19w and I don't think mini PCI-E can supply that power. A solution could maybe be using another power supply solely for the GPU. I'm more concerned about mapping out the pins on the PCI-E's right now. I tried looking up the pinouts for each connector but I don't understand it.

What pins do I have to connect from the mini PCI-E to the PCI-E pins on the GPU?

I would also be willing to use adapters that will work if anyone can find one.

Laptop Specs:
http://gadgetaz.com/Laptop/Gateway_NV55C57u--5011

GPU Specs:
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GT-710-2GD5-LP/Specification

Wolfshadw

Titan
The GPU will not fit inside the laptop... even if you leave out the disk drive. The set up you're looking for is called an External GPU and for the most part, is not worth the effort. It limits your PCIe bandwidth to PCI-Ex1 (not really an issue with a GT 710) and kind of kills the whole laptop/mobility thing.

But, if you're still interested in trying, there are cables that plug into the laptop's mini-PCIe port and out for an external graphics card to plug into. The card will need it's own power supply,

-Wolf sends

Nov 11, 2019
The GPU will not fit inside the laptop... even if you leave out the disk drive. The set up you're looking for is called an External GPU and for the most part, is not worth the effort. It limits your PCIe bandwidth to PCI-Ex1 (not really an issue with a GT 710) and kind of kills the whole laptop/mobility thing.

But, if you're still interested in trying, there are cables that plug into the laptop's mini-PCIe port and out for an external graphics card to plug into. The card will need it's own power supply,

-Wolf sends

It does fit in the laptop, I already checked. I know this is a dumb idea but I am just doing this to see if I can. I don't need the laptop or gpu. They are just wasting space right now. I also don't want to have it external because I wouldn't use it because it would be clunky. My question was "What pins do I have to connect from the mini PCI-E to the PCI-E pins on the GPU?"