Wiring my internet today, need a little help.

Oct 17, 2018
So with my new internet, Spectrum, i have two options for WiFi, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. When i run WiFi on my Pc in the other room i get 50mb/s or so download(2.4). They explained the 5G doesn’t really work too well through walls. When I’ve wired my connection to my laptop just to test my internet, i was getting 180mb/s download Wired on my laptop, but the cord wasn’t mine nor do i know what it is. Anyway, my question here is what Cat of Ethernet should i be going for?

Quick edit: forgot to add, even on the WiFi in the other room, i stream fortnite at 1080p with 0 frame drops or ANY lag whatsoever, and i get 30 ping in-game. 30 ping is by no means bad, but i want to see how low it can get.

Oct 17, 2018
Heading to snag one right now, this is off
Topic but I’m wondering if you have any knowledge on it, i average about 130 FPS in game but since I’m streaming i can at 60, with a 144hz monitor am i hurting myself

When wifi work well it will not have much impact on your performance. There is slightly more overhead in wifi so you might get a couple more ms of delay but that would be something like 4ms compared to 1ms on ethernet. It generally will have no impact on a game.

The key here is "when it working well". Wifi is subject to interference from many sources and can be random in nature. It all depends on your particular house and neighbors. People that live in high density housing like some apartments wifi can almost be unusable because of all the routers.

Cat5e should be fine but if you can get cat6 or better for the same price or less that is good. It will not improve your performance since cat5e is rated to 1gbit/sec at 100 meters.

The key is buy from a reputable vendor. You want pure copper cable with wire size awg 22-24. No CCA cable or any of that flat or thin cable. Those cables are not certified cable and have issues at times. It is just nor worth the risk so spend the extra dollar and get a good cable.