[SOLVED] Wiring Network

Dec 6, 2020
Hi everyone
This is the first time here.
With networking I have bought a 24 port patch panel and a 24 port switch and modem all 10/1000

What I would like to know is how do I hook it all up
I have run all the cables from the positions to 1 place to hook up.
Even a rough drawing would be nice.

Cheers
billa14

Solution
You want them the same it does not matter if it is A or B. Note this matters only on a single cable. You can take a cable that has A on both ends and connect it to a cable that has B on both ends. As long as both ends of each cable are the same it will all work. The electrical signals can't see the color of the plastic and the different color wire pairs are actually the same functionally.
The connection must be ISP---modem---router---switch---end devices.

In general the simplest option it to place all the equipment near the patch panel and wire it all there.

What you can also do is say the internet comes into the living room.

You can go ISP---modem--router----lan port to wall jack----wire back to patch panel---switch---other devices.

Dec 6, 2020
The connection must be ISP---modem---router---switch---end devices.

In general the simplest option it to place all the equipment near the patch panel and wire it all there.

What you can also do is say the internet comes into the living room.

You can go ISP---modem--router----lan port to wall jack----wire back to patch panel---switch---other devices.

Thanks for that
When wiring the back of patch panel and cable ends which do I use A or B wiring setup

You want them the same it does not matter if it is A or B. Note this matters only on a single cable. You can take a cable that has A on both ends and connect it to a cable that has B on both ends. As long as both ends of each cable are the same it will all work. The electrical signals can't see the color of the plastic and the different color wire pairs are actually the same functionally.

Solution
And if you're a on one end and b on another, that's not a problem either as that's known as a crossover cable. :)