[SOLVED] Wiring up a new buildr

bruvvamoff

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
I have a thermaltake tough 750w and the seller said it was definitely modular and it turns up semi modular.
Anyway it has a built in motherboard cable and 8 pin pcie cable.
My gpu needs 2 x 8 pin pcie cables.
But the psu doesn't have a port for another 8 pin pci cable, only 2 x 6 pin. Is it OK to use 6 pin to 8 pin adaptor?
Also, do you think I should use one port and the built in cable, or use both ports and tie the pci cable away.
Thermaltake toughpower 750w

Solution
I would get another PSU with the proper cables.

8 pin plugs are 8 pin plugs for a reason.

If you use and adapter....6 pin to 8 pin....your voltage at the GPU will be lower (as opposed to using the correct plug/harness).

It may work.....it may not....but it's not ideal....and imo is asking for trouble.

If you use and adapter....6 pin to 8 pin....your voltage at the GPU will be lower (as opposed to using the correct plug/harness).

It may work.....it may not....but it's not ideal....and imo is asking for trouble.

Solution

bruvvamoff

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012

You know I think you're right. I know it'll work because I've done it before but