aghascepter

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Hello everyone, Before i start this is my PC Specs.

AMD A10-5800k
AMD RX 470 4GB.
2x4GB DDR3 1866mhz
750watt PSU
500gb 7k RPM.

Recently i have slight problem with this game, it wasnt really annoy me but, i just curious to find out whats wrong,
For you that have played the game, on the sidequest Jenny O' The Woods, do any of you experience frame dips when she summon her Illusions?
I play at Ultra settings with 60fps (Capped), on this occasion my frame drops to 30 or even 28.
When the Illusions disappear my framerate goes back to 60. Never had frame dips as low as this one so far.

This is what i've done that doesn't solve the problem.
  • Lower my settings to Low (Both Graphics and Post-processing)
  • Disable Vsync
  • Disable AMD Shader Cache
  • Disable tessellation entirely from AMD Override.
  • Uninstall Mods
  • OC my CPU from 3,8ghz to 4,1ghz
  • OC my GPU to 1350mhz core, and 1750mhz memory
Now my guess is that my A10 is the Culprit here, but i'm not quite sure, i tried to run the game with Rivatuner OSD,
Re-run the level, My CPU only show 70-85% usage with 60c temp, What i know is my A10 did hold my RX470,
Because i read somewhere, if lowering your Graphic quality doesn't change anything, then its your CPU.
But if it's my CPU Bottleneck on this case, shouldn't it be 100% CPU usage and 70/80% GPU Usage?
Or its isn't always been the case? or did i expect too much from my RX470? or its just the game? (doubt it)

Just need enlightenment.
Thanks.

Solution
It's probably a combination of things. You have a CPU that is really not a great performer, and a graphics card that is very middle of the pack, plus having only 8GB of RAM probably isn't helping things either.

The fact that you are running a mechanical drive is probably also a factor when it comes to loading textures, it's going to see some lag when that happens.

What I DON'T see any mention of you doing is a clean install of the graphics drivers. I would probably recommend trying that FIRST, along with checking to see if there are any BIOS updates available for your motherboard. I post these steps all the time, but it's for a good reason. Reason being, often, one or more of these is to blame for poor gaming performance.

Here are...
It's probably a combination of things. You have a CPU that is really not a great performer, and a graphics card that is very middle of the pack, plus having only 8GB of RAM probably isn't helping things either.

The fact that you are running a mechanical drive is probably also a factor when it comes to loading textures, it's going to see some lag when that happens.

What I DON'T see any mention of you doing is a clean install of the graphics drivers. I would probably recommend trying that FIRST, along with checking to see if there are any BIOS updates available for your motherboard. I post these steps all the time, but it's for a good reason. Reason being, often, one or more of these is to blame for poor gaming performance.

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second, go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

The last thing we want to look at, for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.

Solution

aghascepter

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second, go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

The last thing we want to look at, for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.

Did everything you mention (Bios update, Clean install newest Driver)
Did not work, so i guess i have to agree with you that its probably my Hardware holding each other back.

And unfortunately, aside from adding more memory which I don't think will be the answer in this case, there's really not a lot you can do in terms of making it better while you are on this platform. With the new Ryzen CPUs coming soon there will likely be some really good deals to be found on Ryzen 5 hardware. Might be worth looking into. You can probably get into a 2600/2600x, 16GB of RAM and a new board for around 300 bucks if that's something you might be able to do at some point. Prices may be likely to fall further than this closer to launch.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.39 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($75.71 @ Walmart)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $321.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-01 13:25 EDT-0400

D

Deleted member 217926

Lower the in game settings especially Hairworks. I'm surprised you can play at Ultra with that hardware. Even at 1080p. My old 980 Ti ( with a 6700k ) would only do ~55FPS average at 1440p.

aghascepter

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Lower the in game settings especially Hairworks. I'm surprised you can play at Ultra with that hardware. Even at 1080p. My old 980 Ti ( with a 6700k ) would only do ~55FPS average at 1440p.
If my other hardware except for my GPU are better, i believe RX470 can run it 60fps on 1080p.
Anyway, Hairworks are off, everything on Ultra except for some of these set to High
  • Numbers of background character
  • Terrain quality
  • Foliage draw distance
  • 768p Resolution.

aghascepter

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
And unfortunately, aside from adding more memory which I don't think will be the answer in this case, there's really not a lot you can do in terms of making it better while you are on this platform. With the new Ryzen CPUs coming soon there will likely be some really good deals to be found on Ryzen 5 hardware. Might be worth looking into. You can probably get into a 2600/2600x, 16GB of RAM and a new board for around 300 bucks if that's something you might be able to do at some point. Prices may be likely to fall further than this closer to launch.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.39 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($75.71 @ Walmart)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $321.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-01 13:25 EDT-0400
Well yeah, nothing i can upgrade to made things better with this shit A55 chipset.
Need to throw away everything except for my GPU and PSU lmao.
Anyway, again thanks for your help.

aghascepter

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
That makes you very CPU bound. The CPU matter WAY more at resolutions below and including 1080p. At 1440p and up the load bias shifts to the graphics card.
Now thats new to me, i just decided to run the game on 1080p with Hairworks ,
But the tessellation overridden to x8 from Radeon settings, FPS Capped on 35.
Not even arrived on Novigrad yet, heard its very heavy there with alot of NPC.
I'm expecting Frame dips to low 40 or even 30, capped to 35 from now,
so my eye will get used to it. I guess better this way, rather than let it run at higher but fluctuative FPS, anyway thanks for your responses.