Witchwild Bow - What to put in sockets????

user

Splendid

Hello All

I have equiped my lvl85 mercenary with a Witchwild Bow but what do I file
the two sockets with?

For now I have installed a Sheal rune for the increased speed but what next?
My priority is to make the mercenanry more destructive.

I have a 39ED jewel with 1-4 cold as well. Or do I go for something exotic
such as a BER or CHAM.

Any suggestions most welcome. Even if its get rid of the sheal.

Thanks

--
Winslow Boy

<anon> wrote in message
> Hello All
tp in left hand magazine in right. oh sorry.

<anon> had this idea for a movie:

>Hello All

>I have equiped my lvl85 mercenary with a Witchwild Bow but what do I file
>the two sockets with?

>For now I have installed a Sheal rune for the increased speed but what next?
>My priority is to make the mercenanry more destructive.

>I have a 39ED jewel with 1-4 cold as well. Or do I go for something exotic
>such as a BER or CHAM.

A rogue mercenary is an interesting and rare choice, these days. What sort
of character is that with?

I personally wouldn't use something as rare as a BER or CHAM rune on a
mercenary unless it was with a character that I was going to play a lot, or
unless the runed item was one I could reuse.

>Any suggestions most welcome. Even if its get rid of the sheal.

I'm not sure if you're playing D2 v1.10, or an earlier version (sounds like
v.10, though), but some the following assumes v1.10 and the bow having 2
sockets.

According to:

http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english

A rogue mercenary will shoot with a short siege bow at the following speeds
(presumably the same applies if its upgraded to elite):

With 0-8 increased attack speed - 15 frames per shot
With 9-18 increased attack speed - 14 frames per shot
With 19-31 increased attack speed - 13 frames per shot
With 32-53 increased attack speed - 12 frames per shot
With 54-85 increased attack speed - 11 frames per shot

So dropping two shaels into the bow is going to take the frames per shot from
15 down to 12, which equates to a 25% increase in damage. What other gear
does that rogue have on?

But given the relatively low innate "enhanced damage" on the bow, the
witchwild is one that benefits a lot from adding a 39 ED jewel to it. One
shael alone increase the damage over time by 15%, and comboed with the ED
jewel in the second slot, gives you more overall damage over time than two
shaels, I think, but it's still early in the morning here and I haven't had
breakfast yet, so I'll leave the additional math to someone else who is more
awake. ;-)

--
Slaughter is its own reward.

user

Splendid

Hello Stephen

I will try and answer all your questions.

This is a 1.10 ladder COLD helper from Act1 and who is now lvl90. She
accompanies my favorite character a frenzy Barbarian.

The logic was to have a ranged attacker who would slow the attackers and
allow me to kill them.

She is wearing:-

Blackhorns Face Death Mask which I like for the 'Prevent Monster Heal'

Gladiators Base Wire Fleece which I like for the 'Cannot be Frozen'

Witchwild with 2 sockets which I like for the 90% deadly strike and All
Resist 40%.

Clearly you feel I should be using a different merc - any suggestions since
I could reuse the mask and armour on the new character. I have a spare
azurewrath so I could try a barb but I have always thought a Barb helper
dies all the time.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Mike

"Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> <anon> had this idea for a movie:
>
>>Hello All
>
>>I have equiped my lvl85 mercenary with a Witchwild Bow but what do I
>>file
>>the two sockets with?
>
>>For now I have installed a Sheal rune for the increased speed but what
>>next?
>>My priority is to make the mercenanry more destructive.
>
>>I have a 39ED jewel with 1-4 cold as well. Or do I go for something exotic
>>such as a BER or CHAM.
>
> A rogue mercenary is an interesting and rare choice, these days. What
> sort
> of character is that with?
>
> I personally wouldn't use something as rare as a BER or CHAM rune on a
> mercenary unless it was with a character that I was going to play a lot,
> or
> unless the runed item was one I could reuse.
>
>>Any suggestions most welcome. Even if its get rid of the sheal.
>
> I'm not sure if you're playing D2 v1.10, or an earlier version (sounds
> like
> v.10, though), but some the following assumes v1.10 and the bow having 2
> sockets.
>
> According to:
>
> http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english
>
> A rogue mercenary will shoot with a short siege bow at the following
> speeds
> (presumably the same applies if its upgraded to elite):
>
> With 0-8 increased attack speed - 15 frames per shot
> With 9-18 increased attack speed - 14 frames per shot
> With 19-31 increased attack speed - 13 frames per shot
> With 32-53 increased attack speed - 12 frames per shot
> With 54-85 increased attack speed - 11 frames per shot
>
> So dropping two shaels into the bow is going to take the frames per shot
> from
> 15 down to 12, which equates to a 25% increase in damage. What other
> gear
> does that rogue have on?
>
> But given the relatively low innate "enhanced damage" on the bow, the
> witchwild is one that benefits a lot from adding a 39 ED jewel to it. One
> shael alone increase the damage over time by 15%, and comboed with the ED
> jewel in the second slot, gives you more overall damage over time than two
> shaels, I think, but it's still early in the morning here and I haven't
> had
> breakfast yet, so I'll leave the additional math to someone else who is
> more
> awake. ;-)
>

> --
> Slaughter is its own reward.

mark

<anon> wrote in message

> Blackhorns Face Death Mask which I like for the 'Prevent Monster Heal'

I'm not positive, but I don't think PMH works on a merc.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz> stared blankly into space for a
short while before writing:

> According to:
>
> http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english
>
> A rogue mercenary will shoot with a short siege bow at the
> following speeds (presumably the same applies if its upgraded to
> elite):
>
> With 0-8 increased attack speed - 15 frames per shot
> With 9-18 increased attack speed - 14 frames per shot
> With 19-31 increased attack speed - 13 frames per shot
> With 32-53 increased attack speed - 12 frames per shot
> With 54-85 increased attack speed - 11 frames per shot

I must be doing something wrong. According to that site, an act2 merc
will get 10 frames with a lance??? That's 2.5 attacks per second...
seems a hellova lot slower than that to me.

--
Doc

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:15:16 +1100, Doc wrote:

> Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz> stared blankly into space for a
> short while before writing:
>>
>> According to:
>>
>> http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english
>>
>> A rogue mercenary will shoot with a short siege bow at the
>> following speeds (presumably the same applies if its upgraded to
>> elite):
>>
>> With 0-8 increased attack speed - 15 frames per shot
>> With 9-18 increased attack speed - 14 frames per shot
>> With 19-31 increased attack speed - 13 frames per shot
>> With 32-53 increased attack speed - 12 frames per shot
>> With 54-85 increased attack speed - 11 frames per shot
>
> I must be doing something wrong. According to that site, an act2 merc
> will get 10 frames with a lance??? That's 2.5 attacks per second...
> seems a hellova lot slower than that to me.

In the case of the merc with jab, they pause
between attacks and then jab, which consists of a few attacks
in rapid sequence. So to interpret the number we need
to know whether it is supposed to represent a) the interval between
follow up attacks, b) the time to the first attack once the merc starts
the attack animation sequence, c) the time the merc takes between the end
of one attack sequence and the start of the next assuming the same monster
isn't dead, or d) some kind of avg. of a,b, and c. The slow rw speed
of the A2 guys also making them seem generally slow. A lot of
times I deal with that by first running forward and then leading the
monsters right to the merc.

I think it was Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> that wrote something
like...

>On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:15:16 +1100, Doc wrote:
>
>> Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz> stared blankly into space for a
>> short while before writing:
>>>
>>> According to:
>>>
>>> http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english
>>>
>>> A rogue mercenary will shoot with a short siege bow at the
>>> following speeds (presumably the same applies if its upgraded to
>>> elite):
>>>
>>> With 0-8 increased attack speed - 15 frames per shot
>>> With 9-18 increased attack speed - 14 frames per shot
>>> With 19-31 increased attack speed - 13 frames per shot
>>> With 32-53 increased attack speed - 12 frames per shot
>>> With 54-85 increased attack speed - 11 frames per shot
>>
>> I must be doing something wrong. According to that site, an act2 merc
>> will get 10 frames with a lance??? That's 2.5 attacks per second...
>> seems a hellova lot slower than that to me.
>
>In the case of the merc with jab, they pause
>between attacks and then jab, which consists of a few attacks
>in rapid sequence. So to interpret the number we need
>to know whether it is supposed to represent a) the interval between
>follow up attacks, b) the time to the first attack once the merc starts
>the attack animation sequence, c) the time the merc takes between the end
>of one attack sequence and the start of the next assuming the same monster
>isn't dead, or d) some kind of avg. of a,b, and c. The slow rw speed
>of the A2 guys also making them seem generally slow. A lot of
>times I deal with that by first running forward and then leading the
>monsters right to the merc.

Of course, then again, it might have something to do with SvH talking
about act 1 mercs, not act 2 mercs, but I haven't looked at the site
so I'm not positive. : )

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:52:26 +0000, Ashen Shugar wrote:

> I think it was Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> that wrote something
> like...
>
>>On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:15:16 +1100, Doc wrote:
>>
>>> Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz> stared blankly into space for a
>>> short while before writing:

>>> I must be doing something wrong. According to that site, an act2 merc
>>> will get 10 frames with a lance??? That's 2.5 attacks per second...
>>> seems a hellova lot slower than that to me.
>>
>>In the case of the merc with jab, they pause
>>between attacks and then jab, which consists of a few attacks
>>in rapid sequence. So to interpret the number we need
>>to know whether it is supposed to represent a) the interval between
>>follow up attacks, b) the time to the first attack once the merc starts
>>the attack animation sequence, c) the time the merc takes between the end
>>of one attack sequence and the start of the next assuming the same monster
>>isn't dead, or d) some kind of avg. of a,b, and c. The slow rw speed
>>of the A2 guys also making them seem generally slow. A lot of
>>times I deal with that by first running forward and then leading the
>>monsters right to the merc.
>>

> Of course, then again, it might have something to do with SvH talking
> about act 1 mercs, not act 2 mercs, but I haven't looked at the site
> so I'm not positive. : )

I checked on the site and got the same number for the A2 guy as
Doc did.

I think it was Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> that wrote something
like...

>On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:52:26 +0000, Ashen Shugar wrote:
>
>> I think it was Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> that wrote something
>> like...

>>>In the case of the merc with jab, they pause
>>>between attacks and then jab, which consists of a few attacks
>>>in rapid sequence. So to interpret the number we need
>>>to know whether it is supposed to represent a) the interval between
>>>follow up attacks, b) the time to the first attack once the merc starts
>>>the attack animation sequence, c) the time the merc takes between the end
>>>of one attack sequence and the start of the next assuming the same monster
>>>isn't dead, or d) some kind of avg. of a,b, and c. The slow rw speed
>>>of the A2 guys also making them seem generally slow. A lot of
>>>times I deal with that by first running forward and then leading the
>>>monsters right to the merc.
>>>

>> Of course, then again, it might have something to do with SvH talking
>> about act 1 mercs, not act 2 mercs, but I haven't looked at the site
>> so I'm not positive. : )
>
>I checked on the site and got the same number for the A2 guy as
>Doc did.

Hmmm. Guess I missed the topic change. *shrug*

2.5 attacks per second with a lance sounds possible to me. A lance
with no ias at all is fairly slow as I recall. I can believe that the
merc wouldn't get all 3 of his jabs in within 1 second.

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> had this idea for a movie:

>However, going from one Shael to two will only take the frames per shot from
>13 to 12, less than a 10% increase in damage.

Yes. That was the next part of my post.

>> What other gear does that rogue have on?
>>
>> But given the relatively low innate "enhanced damage" on the bow, the
>> witchwild is one that benefits a lot from adding a 39 ED jewel to it.
>> One shael alone increase the damage over time by 15%, and comboed
>> with the ED jewel in the second slot, gives you more overall damage
>> over time than two shaels, I think,
>
>You're right my friend. However, as the OP was talking high runes and seemed
>willing to use them, surely an Ohm (50% ED) would be the way to go for the
>second slot? Or even two Ohms. However, I'd go one Shael, one Ohm if I was
>in that position, it's no good having big damage if she's too slow to hit
>anything. That's the unknown variable in this equation, how many more shots
>are going to hit because of the increased speed?

Well, I read it as the OP HAD an ED jewel, and that's it, but was wondering if
BER or CHAM were worth it.

--
Slaughter is its own reward.

<anon> had this idea for a movie:

>Hello Stephen

>I will try and answer all your questions.

Okay!

>This is a 1.10 ladder COLD helper from Act1 and who is now lvl90. She
>accompanies my favorite character a frenzy Barbarian.

Sweet! We all tend to have our favourites that get a lot of our attention,
and a level 90 character in 1.10 is indeed that. I'm a big fan of barbarians
myself, and currently have four this ladder season.

>The logic was to have a ranged attacker who would slow the attackers and
>allow me to kill them.

Okay. Well, in that case, if you do indeed have a CHAM rune, I suppose a
SHAEL + CHAM would get you what you're looking for. Another source of freezes
target is Iceblink, of course. If you really wanted to get all whacky, you
could equip the rogue mercenary with the new "Harmony" runeword in an elite
bow. With vigor aura and your frenzy, your barbarian might break the sound
barrier!

>She is wearing:-

>Blackhorns Face Death Mask which I like for the 'Prevent Monster Heal'

>Gladiators Base Wire Fleece which I like for the 'Cannot be Frozen'

Nice. Spirit Shroud (unique ghost armour) is a nice light armour choice that
also provides this mod.

>Witchwild with 2 sockets which I like for the 90% deadly strike and All
>Resist 40%.

>Clearly you feel I should be using a different merc -

No, actually, I never said anything of the sort. I simply stated that a
rogue mercenary is an interesting and, these days, rare choice.

In fact, the witchwild string is a favourite bow of mine, so I'm always happy
to see someone using one on a rogue mercenary.

But if you're after a mercenary that freezes targets, you could also consider
an act 3 cold mercenary with Spirit sword and shield, skin of the vipermagi or
spirit shroud and a +2 hat such as a harlequin crest. And again, I'm not
saying I feel you should be using a different mercenary, I'm simply throwing
another idea at you.

>any suggestions since
>I could reuse the mask and armour on the new character. I have a spare
>azurewrath so I could try a barb but I have always thought a Barb helper
>dies all the time.

Barbarian mercs do survive well with good gear, and an Azurewrath is a nice
sword. A Might aura (act 2 nightmare offensive) or Holy Freeze (act 2
nightmare defensive) mercenary are other workable choices.

--
Slaughter is its own reward.

> <anon> had this idea for a movie:

<snippety>.

> But if you're after a mercenary that freezes targets, you could also
consider
> an act 3 cold mercenary with Spirit sword and shield, skin of the
vipermagi or
> spirit shroud and a +2 hat such as a harlequin crest. And again, I'm not
> saying I feel you should be using a different mercenary, I'm simply
throwing
> another idea at you.

Hmm, that could be interesting. Any idea what level an Act 3 merc would
have to be to have 156 Strength?

short

"short" <shorts@zoominternet.net> wrote in message

> "Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> <anon> had this idea for a movie:
>>
> <snippety>.
>>
>> But if you're after a mercenary that freezes targets, you could also
> consider
>> an act 3 cold mercenary with Spirit sword and shield, skin of the
> vipermagi or
>> spirit shroud and a +2 hat such as a harlequin crest. And again, I'm
>> not
>> saying I feel you should be using a different mercenary, I'm simply
> throwing
>> another idea at you.
>>

> Hmm, that could be interesting. Any idea what level an Act 3 merc would
> have to be to have 156 Strength?
>

> short

Tough to get there. Strength is 133 at lvl 83 and 153 at level 98. You
would have to burn a couple Fals or sacrifice the hat for one with strength.
Just grab one of your circlets with +30 strength, 20% fast cast, and resist
all and you are set at level 75 or so.

-Steve

Blackhorns PMH no worky on mercs, so try something like Guilliams Face for
damage or Mavs hat for speed.

As for the bow, upgrade it first. Then Shael, IAS/Max, IAS/Min, or IAS/ED
jewels are ideal. ED jewel is pretty good as well if that is all you have.

-Steve

> [...]
>> With 54-85 increased attack speed - 11 frames per shot
>>
>> So dropping two shaels into the bow is going to take the frames per shot
>> from
>> 15 down to 12, which equates to a 25% increase in damage. What other
>> gear
>> does that rogue have on?
>>
>> But given the relatively low innate "enhanced damage" on the bow, the
>> witchwild is one that benefits a lot from adding a 39 ED jewel to it.
>> One
>> shael alone increase the damage over time by 15%, and comboed with the ED
>> jewel in the second slot, gives you more overall damage over time than
>> two
>> shaels, I think, but it's still early in the morning here and I haven't
>> had
>> breakfast yet, so I'll leave the additional math to someone else who is

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Ashen Shugar <deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au> stared blankly into space for
a short while before writing:
> I think it was Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> that wrote something
> like...
>
>> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:15:16 +1100, Doc wrote:
>>
>>> I must be doing something wrong. According to that site, an act2
>>> merc will get 10 frames with a lance??? That's 2.5 attacks per
>>> second... seems a hellova lot slower than that to me.
>>
>> In the case of the merc with jab, they pause
>> between attacks and then jab, which consists of a few attacks
>> in rapid sequence. So to interpret the number we need
>> to know whether it is supposed to represent a) the interval between
>> follow up attacks, b) the time to the first attack once the merc
>> starts the attack animation sequence, c) the time the merc takes
>> between the end of one attack sequence and the start of the next
>> assuming the same monster isn't dead, or d) some kind of avg. of
>> a,b, and c. The slow rw speed
>> of the A2 guys also making them seem generally slow. A lot of
>> times I deal with that by first running forward and then leading
>> the monsters right to the merc.
>>

> Of course, then again, it might have something to do with SvH
> talking about act 1 mercs, not act 2 mercs, but I haven't looked at
> the site
> so I'm not positive. : )

See what you get when you don't follow your instincts? I felt that I
should have changed the subject line to OT:, as my response had nothing
to do with Rogue mercs... but in the end I didn't. Sorry for the
confusion.

--
Doc

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Ashen Shugar <deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au> stared blankly into space for
a short while before writing:

> Hmmm. Guess I missed the topic change. *shrug*
>
> 2.5 attacks per second with a lance sounds possible to me. A lance
> with no ias at all is fairly slow as I recall. I can believe that
> the
> merc wouldn't get all 3 of his jabs in within 1 second.

You only missed the topic change because I failed to point it out -
Sorry about that:)

I was forgetting the fact that we don't see an animation for all of the
act-2 mercs attacks.

--
Doc

In article <Q9SYd.9212$DW.7725@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
stwysongREMOVE@sbcglobal.net says...
> Blackhorns PMH no worky on mercs

Oh sheesh. Now they tell me. Mine has been running around with one for a
long time. The "slow monster by x" still works, doesn't it?

What else doesn't work on mercs?

rgds,
netcat

"netcat" <netcat@devnull.eridani.eol.ee> wrote in message
> In article <Q9SYd.9212$DW.7725@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
> stwysongREMOVE@sbcglobal.net says...
>> Blackhorns PMH no worky on mercs
>
> Oh sheesh. Now they tell me. Mine has been running around with one for a
> long time. The "slow monster by x" still works, doesn't it?
>
> What else doesn't work on mercs?
>
> rgds,
> netcat

That's it, I think.