Question With multiple High Resolution monitors 7950x Over the 7950x3d?

MrFreak555

Prominent
Sep 20, 2021
On High Resolution Triples (2560x1440p 32"curved) + Upper 34" I Already have a 4090 but Racking my brain trying to pick between the Ryzen9 7950X3D Which is impossible for me to find anywhere? Wait on the 7800 which I'm probably not going to be able to get my hands on and Now not to confident that would be my right choice? or Go Ahead and Go with the readily available 7950x since I'm running multiple monitor's would This be the better choice anyway? Thank you for any thoughts or feed back

doughillman

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Isn't that the main reason people upgrade?

The original question was about 7950X vs 7950X3D. The point of my correction to the responder was that you'd already (at least, when pared with an appropriate video card) get "really high frame rates" with a 7950X. The 7950X3D will get you minor to moderate frame rate increases in some games vs. the 7950X. It will get you no increase, or maybe even a decrease, in others.

To answer your question, it's the reason that PC gamers upgrade. While most people here are, and while the OP was proooooobably asking for gaming reasons, not every PC enthusiast is using their PC for gaming. If OP was running three monitors to have a gigantic canvas for Photoshop, then the X would be a better CPU.

Reactions: MrFreak555

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Monitor count doesn't matter, neither does canvas size. That's all resolution. Which is almost all on the gpu. Photoshop is 2D graphics, so has zero objects as such, you could run Photoshop on 3x monitors with a GT1030 with no issues.

The problems with multiple monitors arrive in a big way with 3D apps, like games, which is why nvidia surround never really took off as a big thing on multiple monitirs, even the most powerful gpus struggled with any kind of higher framerate. This would affect the cpu because of the additional objects in the outer monitors that aren't part of the normal field of view on a single monitor.

MrFreak555

Prominent
Sep 20, 2021
The original question was about 7950X vs 7950X3D. The point of my correction to the responder was that you'd already (at least, when pared with an appropriate video card) get "really high frame rates" with a 7950X. The 7950X3D will get you minor to moderate frame rate increases in some games vs. the 7950X. It will get you no increase, or maybe even a decrease, in others.

To answer your question, it's the reason that PC gamers upgrade. While most people here are, and while the OP was proooooobably asking for gaming reasons, not every PC enthusiast is using their PC for gaming. If OP was running three monitors to have a gigantic canvas for Photoshop, then the X would be a better CPU.
Thank you for the response! What i have going on is i Mainly Sim Race. But Have to run Several overlays and apps at the same time. Racelabs, Discord, etc. So let's say i have have one Giant monitor with a resolution of 7680x1440 (Taking the multiple monitors out of the equation) Pretty much no doubt the x3d version would be smoother if i was only gaming but as I'm gaming+running several other task at the same time it's sounding like the non x3d 7950x might be my best bet for smoothest performance?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You misunderstand.

The cpu is the source of fps. It takes all the game code instructions, vectors, objects dimensions, lighting, shadows, colors, movement, Ai etc and puts all that into a data packet and ships it off to the gpu. The amount of times it can do that in 1 second is your maximum fps.

The gpu takes that packet of data, and uses the provided instructions to create a wire frame model. Then it adds all the colors, lighting, post processing affects, shadows etc and renders that into a picture according to game detail settings and resolution. Ships the picture to the monitor. The amount of times the gpu can do that in 1 second is your on-screen fps.

The more details and actual objects and Ai etc that the cpu has to deal with takes more time, fps goes down. Single screen has a narrow point of view, lowest objects, highest fps. By extending the screen wide, the point of view gets wider, more objects, fps to the gpu goes down unless the cpu is strong enough to compensate for the additional data.

The 7950X and 7950X3D are the same cpu except the 3D version has a lot more cache. If the game can take advantage of the additional cache, if it's coded to work that way, then fps goes up a lot. If it not coded like that, if it can't take advantage of the additional cache, then fps is the same as a 7950X as there's no realistic difference between the cpus.

Unless that particular game has been reviewed and tested with both cpus, side by side, you'll not know if it does or doesn't take advantage of the cache. Either way, either cpu will be fine, it's a possibility the 3D might be better, but have the same 50% chance of not being better. Coin toss.

Resolution is just the amount of pixels per square inch, a 1080p (1920x1080) picture looks exactly the same as a 4k (3840x2160) picture, same picture just less pixels. A wide angle point of view from using multiple monitors or super wide screen is not the same picture as a single monitor, there's a lot more objects, a lot more involved, regardless of the actual resolution.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrFreak555