[SOLVED] With my build Should i overclock my cpu

Solution
Pretty much all Intel CPUs are already overclocked once plugged into current motherboards (they remain in Turbo mode longer) - so yes, you should be able to push it further, but as said you'll need to make sure your cooler is up to the task. Now, yours isn't half bad - you can push your i7 some more. Check your PSU though, the CPU's max power use will climb some 25% and your motherboard will take some as well. I'd put a 700W in there at least, even if a good 600W may do the trick.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
What CPU cooler do you have?

You wont gain much gaming performance by overclocking your cpu, because the 8700k is already very fast and wont be holding back your 1070ti. However, in the future with a better graphics card it could be worthwhile.

That said, if you have a decent cpu cooler, then yeah go for it, its essentially extra performance for free.

Reactions: davew1860
Pretty much all Intel CPUs are already overclocked once plugged into current motherboards (they remain in Turbo mode longer) - so yes, you should be able to push it further, but as said you'll need to make sure your cooler is up to the task. Now, yours isn't half bad - you can push your i7 some more. Check your PSU though, the CPU's max power use will climb some 25% and your motherboard will take some as well. I'd put a 700W in there at least, even if a good 600W may do the trick.

Solution