[SOLVED] With my current setup, is 450w PSU enough for 1660super?

VladEusebiu

Honorable
Oct 31, 2014
Hello, i'm ready to order a GTX 1660Super

My current setup:
I5-8400
16GB dual-channel 3000mhz ram
1050TI gpu
450W PSU, 80 plus bronze

My question is, is my PSU enough for the video card? i've seen threads that a 450w is enough for it, but with my sistem is it? should i order a new PSU as well?
What do you guys think? Asking since my budget is limited and I do not want to order something that will not work properly.

Solution
The model is 54Y8930 from Lenovo, nothing to crazy

The manufacturer is AcBel... they make some units for Dell too.
They make pretty low quality PSUs, from what I encountered on Dell OEMs.

Judging by this picture:

s-l1600.jpg

That's pretty bad... it is in fact only a 324W PSU as the max power output on the +12V rail indicates.

In my honest opinion, I'd change it for something better... you'll probably be able to run a 1660S on this PSU, but I wouldn't risk damaging other components in the future(due to a PSU failure).... better be safe than sorry.

450W from a great quality PSU would be enough for that system, but you can go one step further to 550W, just in case...
The model is 54Y8930 from Lenovo, nothing to crazy

Judging by this picture:

s-l1600.jpg

That's pretty bad... it is in fact only a 324W PSU as the max power output on the +12V rail indicates.

In my honest opinion, I'd change it for something better... you'll probably be able to run a 1660S on this PSU, but I wouldn't risk damaging other components in the future(due to a PSU failure).... better be safe than sorry.

450W from a great quality PSU would be enough for that system, but you can go one step further to 550W, just in case you want to upgrade other components in the future.

A solid budget model is the Corsair CX(2017, grey label) or CXM(2016, grey label).

Last edited:
Solution

VladEusebiu

Honorable
Oct 31, 2014

Judging by this picture:

s-l1600.jpg

450W from a great quality PSU would be enough for that system, but you can go one step further to 550W, just in case you want to upgrade other components in the future.

A solid budget model is the Corsair CX(2017, grey label) or CXM(2016, grey label).
I was planing on changing it next month, waiting for my paycheck, but it's fine running the video card for 1 month on that PSU, or wait until the next month? But how about the Corsair cv650 80+ bronze? or the TX550M 80+gold, thats the PSU's from corsair, these i can find in my country

I was planing on changing it next month, waiting for my paycheck, but it's fine running the video card for 1 month on that PSU, or wait until the next month? But how about the Corsair cv650 80+ bronze? or the TX550M 80+gold, thats the PSU's from corsair, these i can find in my country

Get the the TX550M.... the order is TXM>>CX>>>>>>>>>>CV.

While it'll maybe fine to run on that for a month... you should try to avoid playing or doing intensive stuff on the system.

VladEusebiu

Honorable
Oct 31, 2014
Get the the TX550M.... the order is TXM>>CX>>>>>>>>>>CV.

While it'll maybe fine to run on that for a month... you should try to avoid playing or doing intensive stuff on the system.
Oh ok, got it, then i will keep the video card in the Box until the PSU arrives, to avoid any trouble, thank you for the help!

TRENDING THREADS