With only 3 Ram modules used I am forced to use 2T......

ebucemag

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I have a evga nforce 4 SLI motherboard and I currently have 3 512mb modules. Two are the same (Patriot) and one is Corsair Value Ram. I put them in and no boot. So, I cleared the CMOS and it booted and defaulted to 2t (like always). So, I change it back to 1T and no boot. I cleared it again and updated my Bios and yet again no go on 1T with only 3 ram modules used!!!
I understand that only a few boards (DFI I believe) can have 1T with 4 ram modules used but I am only using 3, so.....
Thanks,
James

ebucemag

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I understand that only a few boards (DFI I believe) can have 1T with 4 ram modules used but I am only using 3, so.....
...so youre SOL, yes.
Its not actually the board but the chipset. Nforce 4 is the one with the problem.
I am only using 3DIMMs and 2 are dual-sides and the Corsair is ram only on one side. That whats I dont understand, why I can't run 1t......

ebucemag

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I thought SD or DD could possible be it but yeah I not a benchmark freak, just like if you expected something and get something totally different it's a disappointment. It doesn't make any sense.....With just two its fine (1T) but with three it (2T). I wish I could understand because I never heard of such a case like this.
James

randomizer

Champion
Well back in the days of s754 A64s, 1T was almost out of the question beyond 1 stick because of the single mem controller. The first s754 chips were th worst coz the mem controller was inferior to the next few steppings.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
With just two its fine (1T) but with three it (2T). I wish I could understand because I never heard of such a case like this.
Its all about the memory controller. As you may know 1T stresses the controller more than 2T, thats why when youre filling more than 2 RAM slots the controller needs 2T to mantain stability.

ebucemag

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
With just two its fine (1T) but with three it (2T). I wish I could understand because I never heard of such a case like this.
Its all about the memory controller. As you may know 1T stresses the controller more than 2T, thats why when youre filling more than 2 RAM slots the controller needs 2T to mantain stability.
I have a AMD 64 skt 939 and the revision is E3, maybe if I tried the E6 it would have a better mem controller to allow me to have 1T with 3DIMMs?

randomizer

Champion
its not about SD or DD, its the number of banks you are filling. Unless youre a benchy freak; 2T should provide the same real world performance anyways.
Because the memory controller is on the cpu itself, memory latency is cut so much that the difference is only really noticeable in benchmarks and if you have really, really slow memory. You may lose 2-3 fps in a memory intensive game, so its not a real biggy.

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I run a DFI ULtra-D with a 4200 Dualie and previously an A64 3200+
I tried running 4 x 512MB modules on it b4 and it would only run in 2T....
Like others said, you wont see much difference in real world performance but if you were wanting to overclock, 2 modules would be preferable

I always thought it was the built-in AMD CPU controller that affected the 1T or 2T timmings!!!

randomizer

Champion
I always thought it was the built-in AMD CPU controller that affected the 1T or 2T timmings!!!
Well if you mean you thought the built-in controller affects what command rate (1T/2T) will run stably, then you thought right. 4 modules with 1T command rate is very stressful on the mem controller, and will likely cause it to fail and you get a restart/failed boot/BSOD. But the nforce4 chip apparently has problems with too many RAM modules itself.

TRENDING THREADS