[SOLVED] With regard to problematic OPTIONAL update KB4512941

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
This is a first for me, as I cannot recall the last time there was an optional cumulative update.

Since issues with search and CPU usage spiking were reported very early on, I decided to just ignore the Download and install link on the Windows Update pane for this specific update.

As of today (not sure exactly what time) the message regarding it being available and the above noted link disappeared from the Windows Update pane. After checking update history it's clear that it did not apply on its own.

So that's a new data point for me. I had wondered whether, after ignoring it for a sufficiently long time, it might automatically download and install even though it was designated as optional. It didn't do that.

Solution
Depending on how you have it setup, the update is there, downloaded, and you'll be prompted to install via the action center.

It's nowhere near the level of "upgrade to Windows 10 NOW", which was basically spam-ware.... But it'll still be there automatically with the right (basic?) settings enabled.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'm assuming they've pulled it from being "forced" (or repeatedly bugged) to update, due to CPU spiking etc.
No workarounds offered by MS, only that fix is coming in mid-Sept.... So probably in their best interests to stop advertising it until then.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
The problem being, it was never being either forced or repeatedly nagged.

I am actually sick to death of hearing both of these things with regard to Windows 10 updates, as neither have been true in any meaningful sense for some time now. Automatic maintenance updates without any user intervention have been a feature of a very great many OSes prior to their implementation under Windows 10. Never do I hear these described as "forced."

I would never have known about the availability of KB4512941 if I hadn't visited Windows Update, as I was never even given a notification about it in the Action Center.

The changes that are already in as full features in 1903 have been partially retrofitted in Versions 1809 and 1803 (the latter of which will soon be defunct).

What I've found amusing now is that a very great many complaints regarding "forced updates" have flipped to, "why are these not happening completely automatically anymore?" Microsoft is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Depending on how you have it setup, the update is there, downloaded, and you'll be prompted to install via the action center.

It's nowhere near the level of "upgrade to Windows 10 NOW", which was basically spam-ware.... But it'll still be there automatically with the right (basic?) settings enabled.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
The update was reported as being a problem 3 weeks ago on insiders, it just took the gears inside Microsoft a few weeks to pull the update I guess, and it had gone live for a few days.

I don't have it myself, I had been expecting it and had a solution ready for it.

I don't mind a relaxed update method