[SOLVED] With rtx 3080 4pcie should you buy Intel 10900k or AMD 3950x

Solution
3080 is rumored to be 2x stronger than RTX2080ti and capable of high FPS at 4k.
Eh, no it's not. Nvidia said it could be "up to" twice as fast as a regular 2080. They released some performance comparisons including a side-by-side video comparing it to the 2080 Ti in Doom Eternal at 4K, and some graphs comparing its relative performance to the 2070 SUPER and 2080 SUPER in a handful of games. In all, the 3080 was around 45% faster than the 2080 Ti in Doom, and we can derive that it was somewhere around 35-40% faster in the other games. In Minecraft RTX it managed to get over 50% more performance than a 2080 Ti judging by the chart they provided, but that's an outlier due to it's complete reliance on raytracing, and is still...
At 4K the cpu is less important as FPS is lower. Both CPU’s are way more than you need. As for AMD 4000 series it’s supposed to be before the end of the year but not seen anything more specific.

With regards to pcie 4.0 we can’t be sure until benchmarks are out but I am not expecting it to make any difference. As someone pointed out in a different thread the reveal video used a 10900k which is pcie 3.0.

With rtx 3080 pcie4 should you buy Intel 10900k or AMD 3950x for gaming at 4K ?? does anyone knows when we can expect AMD 4000 desktop series to release

I'd go with a pci-e 4.0 system based solely on the reports that both nvidia 3000 series gpus and amd rdna2 gpus will use direct access to storage to speed up game loading and to keep their gpu buffers full. We won't know until these cards are in the hands of testers who can compare pci-e 3 and 4 systems back to back...but consoles are all going in this same direction for a reason.

The 3080 is faster than a 2080Ti, but, undoubtedly the burden/primary limiting factor on frame rates at 4k is still 90% the GPU...

)Would not surprise me to find any CPU of 8700K/R5-3600 and above to all be performing similarly at 4k when /if all have a 3080, but, that is just a guess, which will remain so 'until the cards are actually released and tested with a variety of CPUs and mainboards'

(To date, the extra cores of the 3950X are largely wasted in gaming, providing no real benefit over the 3700/3800X, so seem largely a waste of the extra $300-$400 spent over a 3700/2800, etc)

Last edited:
4k gaming performance will largely be determined by the graphics card.
I would not worry about pcie 4.0.
Most Z490 motherboards as well as ryzen have stated pcie 4.0 support.
It is likely a moot point.
Previously, highest end graphics cards were minimally impacted by pcie 3 compared to pcie2.
If there is any difference, it will be because the 10900k Cat turbo to 5.3, a level that ryzen can't currently touch.

Sep 9, 2020
First of all the AMD 4000 series are APU's and come with less CPU performance than the 3000 series in exchange for more powerful, gaming ready integrated graphics.

They are for people who can't afford a new console which runs games at 120fps@4k.

They will likely run games at 60fps@1080p for half the price of a console, without a graphics card.

The point being that, if you are going to be buying an expensive graphics card at the same time, you should instead buy one of the 3000 series chips.

The 3700x, 3600 or 3300 are all great options for gaming and will be more powerful than their 4000 series counterparts, when paired with a dedicated graphics card.

Also the Ryzen 9 3950x is a pointless waste of money if you are going to be gaming on it. It's that expensive because of the added performance in applications like Blender.
119105929_3317495398296499_8715330887556480940_o.jpg

The choice between Intel and AMD comes down to price and preference really.

If you want the best performance, regardless of price you will inevitably choose the Intel platform. The 10600k at about £200 is the best in all around gaming performance, with almost the same game performance tuned as the stock 10900k. But to overclock it you will need to buy an £90 cooler.

The Ryzen 3 3300x performs almost identically to it's more expensive Ryzen 5 and 9 counterparts in game. It performs about 8-15% worse overall and has higher latency (response time/input lag) than the Intel platform. But it costs £120 AND comes with a cooler capable of overclocking.

Last edited:
First of all the AMD 4000 series are APU's and come with less CPU performance than the 3000 series in exchange for more powerful, gaming ready integrated graphics.

That is not correct, the Ryzen 4000 series desktop are not even released yet and will be WAY better than the 3000 desktop series with a new architecture, cache, memory control etc..... the smart thing would be to wait until they come out in October/November, buy one if it is what you want or take advantage of the drop in price of the 3000 series.

Now is not the time to buy a CPU unless you HAVE to. I myself am waiting for the 4000 series, Big Navi, RTX... realworld benchmarks to see which cpu fits best with which GPU for performance and value, my x570 Mobo is waitng to be installed in the corner LOL!!!

Really glad I got my 850w PSU in the spring now....

Sep 9, 2020
That is not correct, the Ryzen 4000 series desktop are not even released yet and will be WAY better than the 3000 desktop series with a new architecture, cache, memory control etc..... the smart thing would be to wait until they come out in October/November, buy one if it is what you want or take advantage of the drop in price of the 3000 series.

Now is not the time to buy a CPU unless you HAVE to. I myself am waiting for the 4000 series, Big Navi, RTX... realworld benchmarks to see which cpu fits best with which GPU for performance and value, my x570 Mobo is waitng to be installed in the corner LOL!!!

Really glad I got my 850w PSU in the spring now....

It is actually true.

There will be another line of processors which are full CPU's but most of the information we have is based on the APU's that they are releasing to compete with consoles.

Edit: And the recently released mobile 4000 series specs which show that the laptop versions are shipping with the equivalent to a GTX 950 graphics card in performance built in.

Eh, no it's not. Nvidia said it could be "up to" twice as fast as a regular 2080. They released some performance comparisons including a side-by-side video comparing it to the 2080 Ti in Doom Eternal at 4K, and some graphs comparing its relative performance to the 2070 SUPER and 2080 SUPER in a handful of games. In all, the 3080 was around 45% faster than the 2080 Ti in Doom, and we can derive that it was somewhere around 35-40% faster in the other games. In Minecraft RTX it managed to get over 50% more performance than a 2080 Ti judging by the chart they provided, but that's an outlier due to it's complete reliance on raytracing, and is still nowhere near 2x the performance. Even the 3090 won't be doing that.

That being said, it is possible we could see some small performance gains on PCIe 4.0. Whether those will outweigh the slightly higher gaming performance of Intel's high-end chips over AMD's 3000 series is difficult to say, but at least at 4K, where the CPU performance won't be making as much of a difference, there's the possibility of that happening. That was recently tested in this article, albeit on existing hardware, and in a limited number of recent game releases...

To summarize the results, with a 2080 Ti (PCIe 3.0) the 10900K was on average 5% faster at 1080p and 2% faster at 1440p, but the 3950X managed to be around 1% faster at 4K, despite the card not even utilizing PCIe 4.0. With a 5700 XT (PCIe 4.0), the 10900K was 1% faster on average at 1080p, both CPUs averaged the same performance at 1440p, and the 3950K was 2% faster on average at 4K. So in GPU-limited scenarios, at least in the games tested there, it looks like AMD might have a slight edge. Of course, a 3080 should be around twice as fast as a 5700 XT, and it's hard to say exactly how that might affect things. AMD's upcoming Zen 3 desktop processors will likely improve gaming performance as well, though they might be a couple months away still.

Your best bet is to wait for reviews, which will most likely be out for the 3080 sometime within the next week, prior to the card getting released. You might have to hunt around for one that tests for potential PCIe 4.0 performance gains though. I suspect any differences between those processors will be relatively small at 4K though.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What? I think this is a no-brainer.
A)At 4K, one is almost entirely gpu bound
B)PCIe Gen 4 currently has the following benefits:
-Multi-NVMe setups handling large batches of data between them
-NVLinked halo gpus; 3090 anyone?
-Gpus with low Vram buffers; RX 5500XT/1650 anyone?

Grab whichever one you want, because I doubt you'll notice it anyway.

I'd go with a pci-e 4.0 system based solely on the reports that both nvidia 3000 series gpus and amd rdna2 gpus will use direct access to storage to speed up game loading and to keep their gpu buffers full. We won't know until these cards are in the hands of testers who can compare pci-e 3 and 4 systems back to back...but consoles are all going in this same direction for a reason.
I'd wait until Direct I/O is actually used and is useful. It'll be years before Direct I/O compatible cards saturate the market enough for game developers to actually want to put it in games, sans the exception that wants to be the next Crysis.

I'd wait until Direct I/O is actually used and is useful. It'll be years before Direct I/O compatible cards saturate the market enough for game developers to actually want to put it in games, sans the exception that wants to be the next Crysis.

The next gen consoles are almost out...pretty much all of them will support this tech...as well as NVIDIA 3000 series and of course RDNA2 since AMD is heavy into console chips now. It's likely the uptake on DIO will be pretty quick since the hardware will be well understood and the SDKs are already in the hands of game developers.

8700k and above is perfectly fine for 3080 and up, i wouldnt bother with pcie 3.0, the 3080 wont saturate the current pcie 3.0 lanes even at 4k, but i dont know about 8k and 3090, thats a whole something else.

second, if you buy a system like that, odds are that you'll be replacing it directly to a pcie 5.0, its already on the make before proper 4.0 is even out, as far we know right now, pcie 4.0 is the same as trying to make a car go faster by instlling a bigger fuel tank.

either seems overkill, least intel wise, 10600k or 700k or 800k perform the same when clocked to 5.0ghz, the difference is more cores, and thats when you have to consider if you really need them.

Oh, and one last thing, nvidia doesnt seem threatened by AMD at all, but i doubt they would lower they guard so easily, if pcie 4.0 would provide any real boost they wouldnt have used a non pcie-4 capable i9 cpu, and if it did, its likely that the simple fact that intel cpus are around 10% faster would result in bigger final fps output.. or at very least the same..

EDIT: Also keep in mind that the Z490 boards are pcie 4.0 compatible, if by some miracle, currently, pcie 4.0 proves to be a real deal over 3.0, you can still upgrade to the 11th that will support pci-e 4.0, theres a risk... but then again... theres also a solution

The next gen consoles are almost out...pretty much all of them will support this tech...as well as NVIDIA 3000 series and of course RDNA2 since AMD is heavy into console chips now. It's likely the uptake on DIO will be pretty quick since the hardware will be well understood and the SDKs are already in the hands of game developers.
Yes and they also going to use heavily compressed data so lanes/bandwidth usage is completely up in the air right now.
If the compression is actually good it might even reduce the bandwidth needed for the same quality/resolution.

TRENDING THREADS