With the HyperX Cloud II headset, can you get 7.1 surround sound using the aux jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobaltImpurity

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
So I recently reset my PC and have been fiddling around with my audio settings to try get things how they were. I've noticed that I don't think I've had 7.1 surround sound working when I have the headset plugged into the AUX ports on my mobo. The Cloud II's originally come with a USB sound adapter with a little dongle on it. I'm assuming you can only get surround sound using this dongle but I don't remember having a problem with it before when the headset was plugged into the AUX ports.

Is 7.1 surround on a headset possible with the AUX port or do I have to use the usb dongle thingerino provided?

boosted, that is incorrect in this case. you forget about virtual surround sound which entails the vast majority of headsets on the market today.

op...

the soundcard that came with the cloud offers virtual surround sound (the cloud is only stereo headphones after all). if your motherboard doesnt support virtual surround on the onboard audio then you will likely have only stereo (no virtual surround). you could use razer virtual surround to enable it (its so-so quality but free) or use the adapter or another soundcard which support virtual surround to add this.

Yea I am aware of the dolby pro-logic and similar fake surround sound profiles.
I did not mention it so not to confuse the OP, and also because it is such a huge waste to take a real surround sound data stream, downmux it to stereo, and then try to force 7.1 from that stereo data.

While using the USB dac will provide the proper, significantly better, experience; nor is there the issues with the motherboard sound card you were descrbining

@boosted

you might be aware, but it seems you are confusing them. also, the op clearly asked about headsets/headphones not speakers.

dolby pro logic is different. db-plII refers to upscaling of signals for speakers, eg pushing a stereo movie across 5 speakers and subwoofer instead of just front channels. since this is upscaling it doesnt have any use for headphones in most cases (although for actual 5.1 headsets it may work and be used).

dolby headphone (or cmss3d/sbx, razer virtual, etc) are meant for headphones and will convert/downscale a signal to work with stereo headphones. it fakes surround by varying pitch, delay and volume to make sound appear to be coming from different directions and distances. since the vast majority of headphones and headsets are stereo, this is the correct technology.

Feb 18, 2021
I have hyperx stinger S 7.1 virtual surround sound and it required to use USB dac to enable surround sound. But I have problem with the USB dac, when ever I shut down my laptop and turn it back on the sound from my right side of the headset doesn't came out until I unplug and replug the USB dac again. Can anyone help me with this problem?

I have hyperx stinger S 7.1 virtual surround sound and it required to use USB dac to enable surround sound. But I have problem with the USB dac, when ever I shut down my laptop and turn it back on the sound from my right side of the headset doesn't came out until I unplug and replug the USB dac again. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Please start your own thread about the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.