WMC, XBMC, BOXEE streaming LIVE TV via internet

robistro

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Hello all,
Question regarding streaming LIVE tv on WMC, XBMC, or BOXEE through my isp.

Heres the skinny...
I currently have Time Warner cable as my internet provider. I can stream LIVE tv on my pc, tablet, phone via TWC app and/or I can also stream via this url https://video2.timewarnercable.com/ (by loggin in my credentials) I can also view LIVE - ESPN 2 and a couple other channels through another provider.

The Question....Is there any way I could integrate this app or website with Windows Media Center, Boxee, or XBMC? I prefer WMC since I have an HTPC under construction and was planning on DVR through WMC unless the other platforms would perform as well.

I've been searching for hours and trying misc suggestions I've come across, but I haven't been able to complete this task.....yet. I'm hoping one of you experts on this site could send me some advice.

I wasnt sure where to make this post, so if this post is in the wrong section, please accept my apoligies and re-post in the correct forum.

Thanks to all!

Solution
Ah... The term you're looking for is "Plug-in". These are small apps that allow you to view streams or stored video files from within Windows Media Center (or XBMC, etal); just like the Netflix plug-in.

Unfortunately, a system like this would make cable TV companies obsolete. Cable TV companies like making money so they're not about to allow individual cable channels to provide live streams of television content.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Sounds like you need a cablecard ready TV Tuner device for your Home Theater PC. Get one of these devices (like the Ceton InfniTV4 that I have) plus a cablecard from Time Warner (and a cable subscription that includes ESPN2) and it turns your HTPC into a Time Warner set top DVR with as much storage space as you can fit into the HTPC case.

Depending on your needs:

Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-E - Quad internal tuner (<--- this is what I have)
Ceton InfiniTV4 USB - Quad External Tuner
SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime - External Tri-Tuner, networked (Tuners assigned dynamically to other PCs on the network)
Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 - Dual tuner, networked.

-Wolf sends

robistro

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

Thanks Wolf.......This is what I intend to do with the HTPC, (once its put together) however, I wanted to find out if adding an app or url to one of these platforms was possible. It would be a nice way to have a separate media player that could stream live tv in one of the other rooms.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Sorry Robistro - Didn't notice it was you.

Any of the tuners I listed above can have 1 or more of their tuners assigned to other systems or media extenders. For instance, I have one of the Ceton InfiniTV4 tuners assigned to this PC (also in my living room). During football season, I have the primary game (Skol Vikings!) playing on the HTPC connected to my HDTV/Projector and the secondary game playing on this PC (muted) so I can keep track of what's happening with that game.

However many tuners you have is how many TVs/Systems you can have running at the same time. For networked tuners like the HDHomeRun Prime or WinTV-DCR-2650, you just need an extender like an XBox or Ceton Echo to have dynamically assign tuners throughout your home. Ceton cards work the same way, but the tuners are static in assignment. Once assigned, they cannot be reassigned without going through the entire setup process again.

-Wolf sends

robistro

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

Yep, its me. lol Thanks again for another valuable piece of info. I made the post because I had a 'brainstorm' or 'brainfart' I was researching the different platforms and thought that somehow, there must be a way to add an app or url to one of these platforms to stream live tv. Maybe thats why we just build htpc's ?

My thoughts were, if I could go to a website or app to access live tv, why couldnt I just add or integrate the url or app within one of these platforms?

robistro

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
In addition....one wouldnt have to pay for cables full package. a person could just sign up for their internet service and receive the live channels streaming throught the internet package.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ah... The term you're looking for is "Plug-in". These are small apps that allow you to view streams or stored video files from within Windows Media Center (or XBMC, etal); just like the Netflix plug-in.

Unfortunately, a system like this would make cable TV companies obsolete. Cable TV companies like making money so they're not about to allow individual cable channels to provide live streams of television content.

-Wolf sends

Solution

robistro

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

Yes a 'plug-in' is what I was looking for...seems someone would have come up with one, but if they did it wouldnt be 'slapped' on the internet billboard. Maybe someone can pm me a 'hack'

I know Time Warner reached a deal with Roku to stream approx. 300 channelshttp://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2013/01/07/ces-roku-adds-pbs-fox-waiting-for-virtual-cable/ this is probably gonna change the ole ballgame on live tv streaming.

If this app is available on Roku, I dont see why others couldnt download it on other media platforms.
I can download the app on my smartphone, and ipad, but dont see where its available for any other device

Wolfshadw

Titan
There isn't a "hack" so to speak (at least not one that I've heard of). In the case of XBMC, I would think they simply do not have the funds to address a solution like this. In the case of Microsoft Media Center, it's not a project they're willing to finance. Windows 8 damn near killed off Windows Media Center.

-Wolf sends