[SOLVED] WMI provider constantly running at 10% and "wmiapSrv"in Services switches from "Running" to "Stopped" ?

AngelofXxDeAtHxX

Prominent
Aug 8, 2020
So I have had this problem for sometime now, only recently realizing it was a problem (thought it was normal since I'd usually have programs running in background). I've been trying to look for solutions to this for awhile now, it seems like my drives are good, everything else seems to work well, its just that WMI provider is always around 10% cpu load and "wmiapSrv" in the services section of task manager continuously switches from "Running" to "Stopped".

Video of this: View: https://imgur.com/a/aU4pZpf

The problem doesn't persist when booting into safe mode, but still does so when booting with only Windows programs running of startup.

I also saw on another post here, that shutting down and canceling (as Windows says that "these" programs are preventing it from shutting down) the problem goes away and I get normal idle CPU utilization. When running DISM RestoreHealth in cmd, the progress bar got stuck at 62.3% and using "sfc /scannow" in cmd doesn't find any problems.

I'm assuming that this is either because of some kind of malware/virus, or just some program that isn't running properly in the background. While this doesn't seem to be causing catastrophic failures in my system, I'd like to make sure nothing malicious is happening to my system/stop it.

Last edited:
Solution
Delve a bit deeper.

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (use both but only one at a time) to get a more in depth look at what is running on the build.

What resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Also use Process Explorer (free from Microsoft):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Another place to look is in Task Scheduler - look for some trigger that may be causing the switch from "Running" to "Stopped".

In all cases simply explore first, get a sense of the tools being used and what they present and how to interpret what is presented.

Noted that you tried "sfc /scannow"

There is also "dism".

Reference:

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM...

Ralston18

Titan
Delve a bit deeper.

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (use both but only one at a time) to get a more in depth look at what is running on the build.

What resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Another place to look is in Task Scheduler - look for some trigger that may be causing the switch from "Running" to "Stopped".

In all cases simply explore first, get a sense of the tools being used and what they present and how to interpret what is presented.

There is also "dism".

Reference:

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

Solution

AngelofXxDeAtHxX

Prominent
Aug 8, 2020
Delve a bit deeper.

There is also "dism".

Reference:

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs
So I continued to delve deeper as you put it, and just started ending processes in task manager...

And I found my culprit, it was AMD's User Experience Program Master (something in the radeon software that collects data or something to that effect). I disabled it in the settings

But now wsappx has taken its place of running at higher than usual CPU usage, updated windows and opened the microsoft store and it seemed to stop after a while. It seems to still happen on startup, taking about 10 min for it to subside. I think I've found some solutions online to fix that I will try later on if the problem persists.

Appreciate the help, even if I really should've used common sense and done this in the first place.