WMP 9 Playing unkknown file types

Hi all
Can anyone tell me why windows media player 9, although finding an 'unknown
file type' can play the file regardless. However when trying to stream using
wmp and the same file type, it can't play it?
I have XP Pro SP2
TIA
Regards
Sheri

--
Life may not be the party we hoped for but whilst we are here we might as
well dance

Ask them on the WMP Newsgroup:

Windows Media Player NG
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/community/newsgroups/WindowsMedia/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player&lang=en&cr=US