Question WMP Will not rip CDs and none of the online fixes help

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
Hi. It seems this is a common issue, but none of the online fixes I found work.

Mainly because they don't come up.

Particulars: Win 10, commercial, store-bought CDs, etc.

I ask it to rip a CD and it says WMP has stopped working; a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Online I find guides directing me to troubleshooters that do not have WMP troubleshooting when I open them and options my WMP seems not to have.

What the heck is going on here? This used to work just fine on this machine as of last year or so.

Thanks again for your time.

Wolkie 72

Prominent
Aug 7, 2022
I have the same problem. Answer #1 is that you probably had the Windows 7 version of WMP and it has lost its support. They give you a convoluted "answer" having to do with Codexes, but really what they want you to do is buy a computer which features WIndows 11.

Answer #2 is to try another media player starting with VLC or Winamp. There's a whole list, but none of them have worked for me.

Answer #3 is to wait it out. Maybe someone here will come up with a "generic fix" which will help folks like us.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

I have the same problem. Answer #1 is that you probably had the Windows 7 version of WMP and it has lost its support. They give you a convoluted "answer" having to do with Codexes, but really what they want you to do is buy a computer which features WIndows 11.

Answer #2 is to try another media player starting with VLC or Winamp. There's a whole list, but none of them have worked for me.

Answer #3 is to wait it out. Maybe someone here will come up with a "generic fix" which will help folks like us.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
Historically, since ye olden tymes, Exact Audio Copy was the preferred cd ripper:

Colif

Win 11 Master
There is a new version of media player in win 11 but its pretty dumb, it imported all my music in as 1 album, so i just laughed and closed it. Given there is a new version, I can't see Windows fixing the old one in Windows 10, any time soon.

I would just use Foobar2000 instead of Media player. It should support all formats including wav

There are a lot of separate issues here that seem to be getting mixed up. First issue: Thread title says "rip cds" so the response is use EAC. Second issue: file format(s); wmp is not a file format so the precise file format of the songs has to be identified so that a proper player can be selected. Also format of playlists has to be precisely identified as the current Windows 10 media player does support playlists so the question is has the playlist format changed and why it doesn't work.

Okay, EAC seems to work pretty well.

But do I gether correctly that WMP is somehow missing from Win10? How do I have it then?
WMP is still there in Win10 and works fine. Your playlists should also work. I think there was some confusion by Wolkie 72 referring to having his entire cd collection "on WMP" in that WMP is audio and video media playback a program, and is not an audio or video media file format itself. WMP is basically a shell program that points to and access other files of various formats in the libraries (locations) the user establishes. So the files are somewhere else and just have to be located and accessed in their new location.

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
Well, I guess I worded that poorly; it is still there, it is playing files alright.

But part of Microsoft's latest planned obsolescence scheme is that it will not rip songs anymore?

Well, I guess I worded that poorly; it is still there, it is playing files alright.

But part of Microsoft's latest planned obsolescence scheme is that it will not rip songs anymore?
It also still has a cd ripping function but your the only one here who's going to be able to tell us if it still works since no one else here has cds.

Its been so long, but I don't remember WMP for Win7 ever being thought of as suitable for ripping songs. Maybe its because I would never think of any Microsoft product as being suitable for any function involving audio or video. That's one of the reasons why programs like EAC were created, and back in those days there was a really great ripping option in the Wavelab audio editing software. Again its been so long but at the time I may have been using the Nero Burning Rom software to both rip cds and create new cds. But I would never think of or trust a Microsoft product for that. Its a miracle that they can even produce playback software which is why programs like VLC exist. Maybe the original MS media player version 6 that the current Media Player Classic Home Cinema is based on was OK in its day but clearly even today MS hasn't got a clue as to what a good media player should be like. They don't even have a default full screen option which is another reason why MPC-HC exists.

Oh please.

How many computers in 2022 ship with an optical drive? How many people in 2022 still get most of their music through CD purchases?

It isn't "planned obsolescence" when the market made it obsolete.
What does that got to do with anything?
There are still billions of music CDs out there and millions upon millions of even sata cd/dvd players and even external USB optical drives.

Also I just tried it on both windows 11 and 10 and wmp ripped a cd without issues, even giving me the option to not include any copyright in the ripped files so that they can play on any device.
So it's not a ploy from MS to push people to win11 either, it still works fine on 10.

Reactions: dwd999
What does that got to do with anything?
There are still billions of music CDs out there and millions upon millions of even sata cd/dvd players and even external USB optical drives.
And how many of those CDs are still out there? How many people still listen to those CDs on a regular basis? How many of those CDs were already converted to some digital format by the owner already? Yes I have a good collection of CDs, but their contents are in a digital format now so they're just gathering dust. I've no reason to keep them other than they have some emotional value that I can't quantify.

The market has moved on to digital formats long ago. Any hint of getting rid of CD ripping/burning feature isn't because of "planned obsolesce" by someone.