Woke up computer was off, turned it on and PSU was making loud noise

.......... My PSU was making a very loud noise like the rotary fan was breaking. I tapped on the side of the PSU box and it stopped.... anyone tell me whats goin on? Computer is about 3 months old

Solution
i would just leave it for now, if it happens again buy a new psu from corsair, seasonic, antec, don't start taking it apart, it's dangerous and not something you should attempt without knowing what you are doing

bnn

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
could be some cable that fit the fan, could be dust, could be the lubricating film on the PSU's cooling fan bearing has evaporated, could be a faulty psu, it could be a lot of things, it's hard to tell

what brand is your psu? if the brand is bad it could be a bad psu
also seeing your pc is only 3months old you are still under warranty, if you are worried you can RMA the psu and get a better

it was a custom build n came with no warranty.. and its a offbrand psu "Logysis" . The dude pretty much ripped me off on ebay.. was a brand new comp but the parts he used are total shit.. biostar mobo.. its just not a stable system.. but idk what it could be.. like you said it could be a multiple of problems w the psu.. how can I test to narrow the problem? it hasnt made the noise since I tapped the side of the PSU box....

bnn

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
i would just leave it for now, if it happens again buy a new psu from corsair, seasonic, antec, don't start taking it apart, it's dangerous and not something you should attempt without knowing what you are doing

Solution