[SOLVED] WoL Alexa Skill and WiFi wireless setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
I am trying to turn my computer on using a Amazon Alexa device.

Alexa Skill Info: https://www.wolskill.com/

Does anyone know if this Alexa skill will work over a wireless adapter such as the PCE-AX3000?

I have tried it on two wifi adapters and checked my bios and it won't turn on my computer. I believe I'm doing it correctly (I double checked the MAC addresses).

Is there a smart device section on Tomshardware also nowadays? I didn't see one.

Solution
I have a Z390 Aorus Master. Do you remember what the option in bios was called by any chance?
In BIOS, go here:
Advanced Mode > Settings > Miscellaneous

LEDs in System Power On State - Allows you to enable or disable motherboard LED lighting when the system is on.

LEDs in Sleep, Hibernation, and Soft Off States - Allows you to set the lighting mode of the motherboard LEDs in system S3/S4/S5 state.

This is specific to my board. No assurance that yours will have these options, though. Good luck.
Wake on wireless lan is almost stupid. Normal wake on lan keeps just the ethernet chip active so it is very low power. Wireless is much more complex and uses much more power. Unlike wake on lan it must constantly keep sending signal to the router so the wifi connection does not close. I am unsure if the CPU is actually off like it is in wake on lan. The sleep/suspend modes windows has use very little extra power compared to wake on lan and the machine is actually on just running very slowly so you can for example schedule software to run at certain times.

If you really want to do stuff like this I would use the options in the bios that boot as soon as the machine is powered on. You can then use one of those fancy power plugs that you can control with many things including alexa to turn the machine on, This tends to work much better than almost any other option.

It tends to be unstable at times, this seems to be a microsoft issue that leaves the machine in a strange mode. It all depends why you feel you really need to do this. I guess if it something to play with then you can do it. It does not actually save any power really compared to using the power save options in windows. My UPS will show how much power is being taken and the difference is tiny, like the cost of the extra power is less than a couple cents for a whole year.

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
I use Alexa for turning off the tv so I thought why not with the computer as well. I don't think my wifi adapters supports WoL.

I was thinking about maybe scheduling my computer to turn on in the morning, boot up, and then put it to sleep? Is there a way to do this, bill001g?

My schedule is so off these days, I don't want to decrease the computers life span if I haven't woken up yet. I really just want the computer to be ready to go.

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
The reason I'd rather have it this way is because my ram has LED's and when I put it to sleep they are always on, so I don't want the lights to always be on.

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
why didn't you just buy a sleeping mask if you don't mind me asking? I feel twenty times more rested when I wear one.

I don't want the LED's to wear out too quickly. There is a brightness option in iCUE but I'm going to have to mess with it everytime I go to bed. I looked online for the boot to sleep option but came up empty.

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
About the LEDs, there might be an option in BIOS to turn them off when the PC goes to sleep. Granted that this is vendor and model dependent. Though, I'm glad that my B550 AORUS Pro has that option.

On WoL, how hard is it for you to hardwire the PC to a network switch or your router? That will pretty much solve all your problems, sans the little clutter the cable might leave. Then again, if you value function over form, that shouldn't be a big deal.

This is how I wake up and suspend my PC using Alexa: I have an old IR receiver+remote from 10 years ago when the home theatre PCs were all the rage. I have a Broadlink RM Pro IR blaster which I taught to emulate the wake-up and sleep functions of the remote. That and Alexa Routines, I am able to control the power to the PC via an Echo speaker or wherever I am there's an internet connection on my phone.

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
About the LEDs, there might be an option in BIOS to turn them off when the PC goes to sleep. Granted that this is vendor and model dependent. Though, I'm glad that my B550 AORUS Pro has that option.

On WoL, how hard is it for you to hardwire the PC to a network switch or your router? That will pretty much solve all your problems, sans the little clutter the cable might leave. Then again, if you value function over form, that shouldn't be a big deal.

This is how I wake up and suspend my PC using Alexa: I have an old IR receiver+remote from 10 years ago when the home theatre PCs were all the rage. I have a Broadlink RM Pro IR blaster which I taught to emulate the wake-up and sleep functions of the remote. That and Alexa Routines, I am able to control the power to the PC via an Echo speaker or wherever I am there's an internet connection on my phone.

I have a Z390 Aorus Master. Do you remember what the option in bios was called by any chance?

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
In BIOS, go here:
Advanced Mode > Settings > Miscellaneous

LEDs in System Power On State - Allows you to enable or disable motherboard LED lighting when the system is on.

LEDs in Sleep, Hibernation, and Soft Off States - Allows you to set the lighting mode of the motherboard LEDs in system S3/S4/S5 state.

This is specific to my board. No assurance that yours will have these options, though. Good luck.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.