Question WoL/WAN

hamster3

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
I can wake my PC from my phone from full shutdown when connected to the wifi but if I disconnect my phone from the wifi I can only wake it from sleep.

I have an Asus z97p mobo running windows 10 connected to a BT Smart Hub.

Any help to get it to wake from shutdown not just sleep?

birne

Reputable
May 19, 2015
You will need to setup some sort of port forwarding and static IP on your computer and the corersponding info on your phone for this to work.
I know you can do this with the APP 'Unified Remote', but it costs a bit to get the unlocked version wich lets you do this.
I am however sure it is possible to do this without any 3rd party program.
try looking here

hamster3

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
I have the PC set as a static IP. I'll have a look at your link. I just find it strange that it will wake from shutdown over wifi but only wake from sleep over internet so the magic packets must be getting through to the PC.

You problem is there is no such thing as wake on wan. Wake on lan requires a packet to be sent to the broadcast mac address and inside that packet it need to contain the mac address of the pc to be woken in a special format. You will notice there is no mention of ports or ip addresses etc because your PC is not actually active and the concept of IP addresses and ports can only be done by the software which needs the cpu to run.

Internet only operates on IP addresses not mac addresses so you are pretty much dead to start with. The only reason you can hack this to work is many pc do not follow the standard perfectly and allow other things to be in the packet....like ip headers.

The best way to do this is if you router has a special application that lets you remotely request that the router itself send the wake on lan packet on the lan. I know asus router can do this.

So the hack that you might be able to do is. You port forward to some unused IP address. Technically the port doesn't matter but some of the apps only support certain ports. The key to making this work and what you can not do on most router is setting a static ARP entry. What you need to do is set a static arp entry for the ip address you port forwarded to the broadcast mac address.

What you will find on some web site is to port forward the actual ip of your pc. Very technically your PC does not have a IP and it could change but lets ignore that detail. So for a period of time this will work but after a period of not receiving any traffic from your pc the ARP entry will time out in the router. So the packet will port forward correctly the router will attempt to do a ARP to find out which mac address to sent it to and get no response. Your pc is down. Since it does not know what mac address it discard the packet. Now you could set the static ARP entry for you pc mac address and it works on many machines but it is not technically part of the standard. So if you have the rare router that can set static arp you might as well do it the proper way.

But this is all non standard hacks there is no such thing as wake on WAN.

The other big issue in this is microsoft and bios manufactures have messed this up with support of many of the microsoft sleep states so you have to be very sure the pc is correctly running wake on lan and not some microsoft crap.

TRENDING THREADS