Wolfenstein Preorder Bonuses Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
If they're going to sell in-game advantages in the form of a $5 or $10 pre-order charge, why not just sell all these upgrades at game release? Seriously, buy the game, pay an extra $15, and get all the goodies. Why make gamers choose how they want to cheat? Things like a Medal or secondary games are fine, giving people an unfair advantage in multiplayer is just dumb. Seriously, your enjoyment in the game depends on how much extra money you can throw at it?

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Give me NVGs any day over these, they may have actual use one day lol

these other crap are either draws for you to buy other things (or own them already) or are just like micro-transactions for them free MMOs.

Toddosan

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Whatever happened to just selling the game? cripes its just as bad as paying to get into an MMO thats still beta! I guess game Devs are desperate to sell the next hunk o crap(BTW i love the original RTCWS), i dont mind the medal, cloth map or figurine, but giving someone a hella powerful weapon from the start geez! Whats next NOW BUY THE GAME FROM US AT (insert store name here) AND WE WILL GIVE YOU GOD MODE, THATS RIGHT BE A CHEATING BASTARD RIGHT AWAY!

A free copy of the old Wolfenstien 3D, like seriously? I use to have that on some floppies way back in the day. Not too interested in playing it again now. The Game Stop offer seems ideal for multiplayer junkies, but I like the Game Crazy offer too assuming that you can't get that medal any where else.

G

Uh its not an extra $15 dollars. That money goes towards your purchase of the game when it comes out.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]If they're going to sell in-game advantages in the form of a $5 or $10 pre-order charge, why not just sell all these upgrades at game release? Seriously, buy the game, pay an extra $15, and get all the goodies. Why make gamers choose how they want to cheat? Things like a Medal or secondary games are fine, giving people an unfair advantage in multiplayer is just dumb. Seriously, your enjoyment in the game depends on how much extra money you can throw at it?[/citation]

dork a preorder doesnt cost extra money, you are only putting a small deposit towards the total actual purchase price.... if you didnt know that, you have no business gaming.... its only been like this for the last 20 years

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
A pre-order costs more money. Most games, on the week they're released, are discounted by retailers to draw customers to them. By purchasing it ahead of time, you're paying full price. I always get new release games at a discount from Circuit City or Best Buy before they revert to the full price a week later.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I'm not even a hardcore gammer and even I know that pre-orders do NOT cost extra money. The "extra" money you all refer to is a down payment.

@JWL3, Most? I don't think so. Maybe 1/4th of games are discounted, but I would say that most major titles are full price on release. Since most fans awaiting the game will buy the game the second it comes out, why would companies bother discounting them and loosing money? Discounts come later.

G

Eh, all of those pre-order offers are mediocre at best. The only game I've ever pre-ordered was WarCraft 3, and that was because the pre-order bonus novel was handled directly by Blizzard. It was already on store shelves, so you had something in your hands right away.

Most of the bonuses you get now are a waste of effort. I especially hate virtual bonuses. A collector's edition with a special box and a good assortment of physical accessories is much more preferable.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I think pre paying for games is retarded. Just think how much
money these game companys pocket because you got to have it right
now junkies can't wait 6 months for price discounts. Just Think
about how many extra games you could have if you got them for half
price, Um Da. Buy it half price play it for a month and beat it, then
sell it for 70% of what you payed for it. Or go rent it at Blockbuster
video on a month pass and then go to the next game. paying 59 bucks for
a game and playing it for two or three weeks than shelfing it is as retarded as retarded gets.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
My family killed lots of Germans in WW2.Bombed them from the air and mortared them on the ground.I remember Wolfenstein 3D and the Spear of Destiny sequel although they were crude.Return to Castle Wolfenstein was an amazing sequel epic back in 2001 even if it was fictional it was an incredible experience playing it quite imaginative.I have been waiting for this new one to come out.I sure hope that it's up to par or better than Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]JWL3[/nom]A pre-order costs more money. Most games, on the week they're released, are discounted by retailers to draw customers to them. By purchasing it ahead of time, you're paying full price. I always get new release games at a discount from Circuit City or Best Buy before they revert to the full price a week later.[/citation]

yet another idiot.... if this were the case pre-orders would not need to exist, they use this as a basis of supply and demand for manufacturing.... and if the games were offered at a discount without the pre-order, you know how many lawsuits would have happened over it by the people that did pre-order... so again you are talking out of your ass just so you can look like you have insider knowledge.... dont you people get it that real techs and insiders hang out on these boards... i personaly patrol them like a great white shark (and yes i am a real tech with my master in computer sciences and more certs than you could possibly count)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
What happened to the Fable 2 collectors edition bonus?
Oh yeah, the supplier for the bonus materials screwe up, so most of north america didn't get the stuff... And microsoft never replied to me demanding the stuff I paid extra for...

[citation][nom]kaiser_25[/nom]I want the flamethrower!!! Burn Nazis burn!![/citation]

+1

So Amazon gives away a copy of Wolfenstein 3D for the XBox and PS3 but not the PC? Woot.

How games start on PC and slowly get turned away and PCs get shunned. Poor PC. Without it the XBox and PS3 wouldn't be possible yet he still is stuck in the shadows known only to enthusiasts who demand the best out of their games.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
If you pre-order you should get access to hidden levels that will be a DLC a few weeks after it's release. That would be a better incentive.
And btw who would want to play Wolf3D? That game literally makes me sick just looking at it.

jediagh

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2005
[citation][nom]VioMeTriX[/nom]yet another idiot.... if this were the case pre-orders would not need to exist, they use this as a basis of supply and demand for manufacturing.... and if the games were offered at a discount without the pre-order, you know how many lawsuits would have happened over it by the people that did pre-order... so again you are talking out of your ass just so you can look like you have insider knowledge.... [/citation]

I think what JWL3 is talking about is the "SALE price" that typiclly occurs the 1st week the game is out. Best Buy and Wal-Mart tend to have a sale on a new game (PC) and tae $10 to $15 off the 1st week it comes out. Afterwards it goes back up to the retail price until eventualy it gets old and found in the older games section and lastly the clearance rack.

Buy doing a Pre-order from Best Buy, Toys R Us and EBGames you are going to be paying full retail on the game and miss out on the $10 off "sale" price that the games tend to get during the first week that Best Buy and Wal-Mart sometimes do. They don't do it all the time and it various on what games they do it on as well.

That is what JWL3 is talking about.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Nope not until I can confirm the type of DRM. If it does not require online activation and there is no install limit I will buy it.
install limit is really a rent a game. I do want to have to try and get a hold of those hacks in 4 to 6 years if I dust it off and want to play it again.
Still have Baldur's Gate 1&2 and Freespace 1&2, both great games.

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
@JWL3. I've preordered DOZENS of games. The preorder charge is deducted at time of purchase from the CURRENT price at that time, not from the full MSRP. If the game shop or retailer chooses to discount the price on the first week (extremely rare for popular games), then you in the end pay the exact same price as everyone else, get some bonus things, and are guaranteed a copy (in rare cases, preorders are so high they're doled out over a few weeks).

You also have full rights to get a full refund of your preorder "deposit" should you choose not to take the game afterall. It must be refunded. they can;t keep it. So, if they refuse to price match a current sale from another retailer, you buy the game at their competitor and get you money back. This may mean you have to wait until games are in stock, but almost every reputable retailer has a prioce match guarantee and is bound by advertising laws to give you the game at the lowest advertised price minus your already paid deposit.

@hellwig: I agree nearly completely. Bonus items that give early adopter in-game advantages in multiplayer should be banned, ESPECIALLY in cases where monthly fees to play are involved. I don;t mind unlicking bonus levels, mini-games, single-player mode special weapons, badges of honor, and more, but giving players advantages in multiplayer should be completely banned, voluntarily by the gaming industry.

The real purpose of preorder promotions by the way is to guage retail demand so they can produce an appropriate amount of games to handle initial demand surges. It's completly to the distributors benefit to have you preorder. SOME incentive needs to be used to get you to preorder, and lets face it, cheezy posters don't really cut it for most people in today's world. Still, some incentive is necessary.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]VioMeTriX[/nom]dork a preorder doesnt cost extra money, you are only putting a small deposit towards the total actual purchase price.... if you didnt know that, you have no business gaming.... its only been like this for the last 20 years[/citation]
So I stand corrected. If you hadn't guessed by my post, no, I don't pre-order games. I don't pre-order anything. You have to be an idiot to buy anything hot off the press unless you know for certain it will be good. Personally I'd rather wait for a game to go on sale, I don't see the need to play it the very day it comes out. That may not make me a gamer, but I do have a few extra bucks in my pocket.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
@NegativeX
Go to Amazon, you can pre-order the PC version for $47.00 with free shipping and some bonus stuff too. Not the weapons and such that Game Stop directs toward all the kiddies and their kiddie consoles but some free MP3 downloads.
I like Amazon for PC games, huge selection of older ones too, cheap.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Ridik876[/nom]0_o I has this many http://www.theonlinecandyshop.com/ [...] uitbig.jpg[/citation]

lmao rofl.... now that made me laugh and smile.... good comeback and in such good humor

Status
Not open for further replies.