Wolfenstein Released in Germany Without Nazi References

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Nelson

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
I laugh when I see stuff like this... Not sure why, ultimately it's not funny, maybe it's to keep it surface level and cheapen all angles...... lol

squirrelboy

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Sounds like the bigger concern is the categorization of video games as a toy rather than media art.
Toys and games are things you play (with). You don't play with art or movies.
I think that that's the reasoning behind the catogarization.

megiv

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
How they expect to avoid the mistakes of the past if they are ignoring their history ? Not a smart move, to say the least.

It's stupid. It's only stupid because any idiot with a computer can do a 2 second search on Google and find out their Nazi's.
Germany; no kid who plays videogames really understands what a Nazi is. They will never (hopefully) see the horrors of war. Most of them grew up after the Berlin Wall fell. Just let them believe that Nazi's are some evil group of people that exist outside the laws of reality, like all North American children do.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Why should it be sensitive subject? Are they trying to close their eyes and say the nazzi and Hitler never happened ? It doesn`t change the history ... be a man and accept the history.

Interocitor2

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Why should it be sensitive subject? Are they trying to close their eyes and say the nazzi and Hitler never happened ? It doesn`t change the history ... be a man and accept the history.
This is NOT some kind of history revisionism or something like that. Every schoolkid in germany has multiple history lessons about naziism, the holocaust, WWI, WWII etc. The law is to prevent neonazis from using nazi paraphernalia in public. But where do you draw the line in respect to the swastika? (the law has to be somewhat strict and specific to prevent loopholes) German law says: art is ok the rest is not.

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
It's just a legal version based on German law, without removing all the Nazi stuff they would not be able to sell the game legally. The original version was never released in Germany because they did not have this workaround at the time. I get it that you are killing Nazis but like Interocitor2 said, they have to be strict or else people would utilize loopholes.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
First
Wolfenstein has historically never been released in Germany because it's centered on the player fighting the Nazi regime.

Isn't correct. Wolfenstein 3D (1991) wasn't released and then removed from the market in Germany. Subsequent games including Wolfenstein (2009) were released in Germany with the Nazi symbolism removed, including Wolfenstein 3D.

Second I'm willing to bet that most of the people on this board taking issue or making light of the subject come from the United States. This ban on displaying Nazi symbols except for limited purposes is written into the German constitution. The relevant section was written in large part by the US Army after the second World War.

And this is basically a "Well duh" article. Every video game ever released in Germany has the Nazi symbolism removed not sure why it's worth an article, look at video or screenshots of the original Medal of Honor, COD, or Battlefield 1942 from Germany.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
In their defense, very few American students are taught history to that depth anymore. The "boomer" generation was probably the last to be taught much about WWII in any depth and even then rarely in such detail.

I wasn't aware that that little factual gem--I knew it was a long-standing, severely enforced restriction, but not that it was in the constitution.

TheAshigaru

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Most video games I can think of opt to use the de-nazified German Cross symbol. Company of Heroes and Battlefield 1942 both did this in the US versions. The modding community will usually create skins with more historically accurate vehicle markings and camouflage patterns, as well as uniforms for the soldiers.

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Sounds like the bigger concern is the categorization of video games as a toy rather than media art.
Toys and games are things you play (with). You don't play with art or movies.
I think that that's the reasoning behind the catogarization.

They just have a broader definition of what constitutes a "toy" and a narrow one for "Art" than we do in america (and elsewhere). Good example would be using legos to build a replica of the Brandenburg gate and putting it in a museum. Is it a toy or art? Its the end product that counts, but we all have our own definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.