Woman Charged $163 Million Over Huge Scareware Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I remember there was one U.S. based company(something doctor??) who's software was even flagging fresh installs of win xp. they deserve jail this is fraud but the law is not too bright about web fraud. hec, these companies probably used cc info for str8 up identity theft.

nieur

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
she should be sentenced not only to return the money but also some serious jail time so that many others out there will get a lesson.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Guess I'll play devils advocate and say if you're dumb enough to fall for this you deserve what you get.[/citation]

It is not being dumb. Their pc was hijack. The user sometime not as fluent in pc as everyone here. Is like owning a car and a status light popup on the dash stating something wrong. The pop up cripple ur car. In this case, the pop up was generated not by the car but by a thief standing outside your car.

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
The united states at work... a company breaks the law causes cancer for millions they get a small fine they pay off easily. the fine doesnt relate to the cost of the crime. A woman scams a bunch of people using a computer little over a million people for at maximum 60 bucks meaning a net profit around say she did 2 million people now overestimating.. 120 million.. she gets fined 160 million. She didnt even make that much...

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Guess I'll play devils advocate and say if you're dumb enough to fall for this you deserve what you get.[/citation]
And since she was dumb enough to get caught she deserves what she got.

nieur

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
and also why on earth those people gave $40/$60 to some unknown security company when you can get many moderate security softwares for free. Most of the renowned for home use security suite come at those prices

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

1. Hire a contractor for house maintenance.

2. Contractor skips town, or worse, mixes the sewage and water pipe together.

alevox

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
[citation][nom]wiinippongamer[/nom]People stupid enough to fall for it shouldn't be using a PC in the first place[/citation]

Yes and I suppose you were born into this world with all your PC knowledge already in your smug head.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]wiinippongamer[/nom]People stupid enough to fall for it shouldn't be using a PC in the first place[/citation]

Please fix my car for me.

As in, replace the transmission, without breaking it.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]Well, it was either the 160 million dollar fine or get elected to Congress....[/citation]Congress and our prisons are both full of crooks, there's no more room! We'll just have to fine her.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
you know, i would start a legitimate company, legitimate program, that really fixes a computer...

however i would still use scare ware tactics, because they work.

would it be wrong to scan a computer with consent, tell them all the possible and confirmed viruses/malware or even just suspicious ips in the host file and to fix it, pay 60-100$ for a program.

than with that program make it actually good?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Ha, justice is served.
Still she has to be the most successful individual in squashing spyware and viruses. Too bad all the viruses and spyware she squashed was her own. Sometimes I think Norton and MaCafee create viruses just so they can justify their existence.

G

good day , my little geekoids, we are from the modified Niburian secret service,What ever crap you cause on the internet,We wish to inform you,We have the ability to take a small piece of your dna and clone it over and over Giving you the time to get screwed for ever.Think about that we will have big Orgy just for you.again and again

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS