Question Won’t start after power outage

Jan 7, 2021
The power went out while using my PC and then came back on a few minutes later. Since then it will not power on. It was plugged into a surge protector. The PSU is fully functional. The motherboard’s RGB lights are on but nothing is happening when I try to start it. Any advice? Is there a way to see if the motherboard is just dead?

Jan 7, 2021
Probably not dead from a power outage and a surge protector doesn't help with an outage -- a UPS is for that. I would try clearing the CMOS first.
That’s the only thing I tried. Should have put it in the original post. It didn’t seem to do anything

RealBeast

Titan
My typical routine is to pull everything out of the case, reassemble and then start swamping out a part at a time until I find the offender, although often it is just a case short so it starts up right away. I find it a lot more convenient to work on a bench build not in the case, but then again I do this all the time. I even detach all the front panel connectors and just use a metal object to short the power pins to start (like a screwdriver).

Reactions: CountMike
How old are your rig and PSU ?

You can try this:
  • Unplug the power cable (to mains).
  • Hit the pwr button (expect nothing, maybe a little nudge of the psu fan) - this should empty most of the capacitors in the PSU.
  • Then plug the power cable back again. and try to start.

Frozenyojk

Reputable
Sep 8, 2016
Im little late here, but it might have been some kind of protection. Back in the days, i had Gigabyte 970a-ud3p, with Fx 8350, and after every power outage i was forced to wait arround 30/40 minutes because of some "power outage safety" option in the bios.
I might suggest you remove the BIOS battery for 10/20 minutes, put it back and then try again. If nothing happens, borrow from somebody a working PSU and try again. If it does boot, you'll find your answers, if it doesn't - you'll find your answers!
Wish you luck mate!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS