[SOLVED] Wondering about AMD/Nvidia driver "Optimization"

Status
Not open for further replies.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
I often wondered if... when AMD and Nvidia comes out with a new driver update (usually for optimizations for new games)... if there was any chance that optimizing for the latest AAA game(s) might interfere with an optimization they made previously for an earlier game. Like, could they inadvertently "de-optimize" something they did for an earlier game? Any chance of that happening?

Nope. I don't think so. Why should the driver team remove past game optimizations ? Unless of course the previous GPU driver version was buggy. Seems unlikely that they will de-optimize anything like this, imo. Though, this also depends on the game. Some new drivers might break things or so.

Apart from that they shouldn't remove any previous game optimization if it was stable.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
depend if they did it per game or generic. sometime new driver break older games
Yeah, exactly. That's what I was trying to get at. Thanks for putting it in simpler terms.
@ Metal Messiah.
I didn't mean the driver team would do it intentionally. But I imagine it's hard to keep every past game tweak from possibly being affected by the latest new game tweak. Especially if the main driver code itself has had a major update. As in when a new GPU generation arrives, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.