[SOLVED] Wondering about bottleneck ,would this even work ?

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
So hear me out before calling me a mad scientist or a witch and planning to burn me at the gallows :D

So i was thinking that if you have a weaker CPU and a much more powerful graphics card ,you would get a bottleneck ,if my understanding is correct
And CPU would be working at 100% during intensive gaming thus bottlenecking

But if you used a CPU Limiter and set the game process to only use lets say about 90% of the CPU and thus making sure 100% of CPU is not being utilized
Would that in anyway reduce bottleneck ?

Again before being called a witch doctor or a mad scientist ,please be gentle on me as its just a stupid theory i thought and wanted to confirm with you people

Please be gentle

Solution
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.
Then, also, cpu utilizations do not tell the whole story.

Be careful how you interpret task manager cpu utilizations.
Windows will spread the activity of a single thread over all available threads.
So, if you had a game that was single threaded and cpu bound, it would show up on a quad core processor as 25%...
The reason why there's a bottleneck is because the game is asking the CPU to do more than it can handle within the time frame you'd like. Limiting how much the game can use the CPU worsens the problem.

To put it this way, if you're racing and you pin point the engine can't push hard enough to get faster lap times, do you think limiting its power would make it go faster?

Reactions: Led zeppelin blues

USAFRet

Titan
So hear me out before calling me a mad scientist or a witch and planning to burn me at the gallows :D

So i was thinking that if you have a weaker CPU and a much more powerful graphics card ,you would get a bottleneck ,if my understanding is correct

But if you used a CPU Limiter and set the game process to only use lets say about 90% of the CPU and thus making sure 100% of CPU is not being utilized

Again before being called a witch doctor or a mad scientist ,please be gentle on me as its just a stupid theory i thought and wanted to confirm with you people

Please be gentle
It would absolutely reduce performance. Which is what you should be looking at, not a mythical "bottleneck".

Random numbers:
At 100% CPU use, it is giving you 100FPS
Reduce the CPU use by to 90%, via a Limiter of some sort, and it would give you 90fps.
Is that what you're looking for?

Reactions: Led zeppelin blues

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
The reason why there's a bottleneck is because the game is asking the CPU to do more than it can handle within the time frame you'd like. Limiting how much the game can use the CPU worsens the problem.

To put it this way, if you're racing and you pin point the engine can't push hard enough to get faster lap times, do you think limiting its power would make it go faster?
Speaking in that terms ,i do get it more ,already being ,it would basically be like reducing the throttle and imagining to the win in a drag race
and thanks

Reactions: hotaru.hino

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
It would absolutely reduce performance. Which is what you should be looking at, not a mythical "bottleneck".

Random numbers:
At 100% CPU use, it is giving you 100FPS
Reduce the CPU use by to 90%, via a Limiter of some sort, and it would give you 90fps.
Is that what you're looking for?
No not at all ,it was a wild thing i wondered ,a man can dream right ,even if they are nightmare's :D
but yes ,thanks for clarifying my witch doctor theory

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
No not at all ,it was a wild thing i wondered ,a man can dream right ,even if they are nightmare's :D
but yes ,thanks for clarifying my witch doctor theory
No worries man no one is pointing a finger at you for this theory you had. Note this however as I must throw it out there. If your gaming at 1080p the CPU gets taxed and that will bring down your FPS if its a weak CPU. If you have a ok CPU nothing great but a solid one couple years old and you play at 2k resolution then the burden falls on the GPU and then the GPU at that point is a bottleneck, but CPU still needs to deal with a lot of things like music, sound, AI, showing you objects or characters on screen. The CPU is busy but if the GPU can't keep up then you have a bottleneck. If the CPU can keep up but you have a weak GPU then again you have a bottleneck. Hope this makes sense to you and your at ease now.👶🎗✝

Asez23

Reputable
Oct 11, 2020

Please be gentle
oml i tried the same thing. I have an i3-9100f paired with a MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8GB lol it creates such a huge bottleneck. I tried limiting the cpu via the configuration tab. My games didn't even reach 40fps

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.
Then, also, cpu utilizations do not tell the whole story.

Be careful how you interpret task manager cpu utilizations.
Windows will spread the activity of a single thread over all available threads.
So, if you had a game that was single threaded and cpu bound, it would show up on a quad core processor as 25%
utilization across all 4 threads.
leading you to think your bottleneck was elsewhere.

You can test YOUR games in a couple of ways.

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

Solution