Question Wondering about damage from vibrations ?

Nov 17, 2022
Recently someone I live with has been a pain in my ass and has been loud when I am trying to study. At one point I started banging on the wall like a chimpanzee so they would finally get the message but I am wondering if that could have harmed my pc it is on the other side of the room but I am curious if it could have caused damage from shakes? It has an ssd and I was wondering if the cpu, gpu or any components like that are shake sensitive when they have electricity running through them.

I noticed my fps has been lower on games recently and my pc overall more sluggish so is it possible? I was also rendering some stuff on sony vegas which makes my fans spin real fast and what not so could that have been an issue? i had my rendering settings to render at a very high bitrate like 512,000,000 or something like that so is it possible that caused excessive wear?

jasonf2

Distinguished
Intermittent vibration itself in a properly assembled PC shouldn't have any effect. That isn't to say though that sudden shocks or being really rough with a case won't break things. I have been around situations where cases have been knocked over, kicked or mishandled in a move where pcie headers have ripped themselves from motherboards and CPU coolers have dislodged. But bouncing around across the room shouldn't be able to move things around enough to do damage. Dropping it or putting it in a paint mixer could be little different story...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's only 2 things in a pc susceptible to vibration from a decent knock or bang on the case. That being a hdd that's not vibration isolated by rubber grommets and a cpu cooler that's using AS5 paste or any other paste that dries out after a specified number of heat cycles.

Everything else should be locked down or supported in such a matter that even dropping the case will do little to no damage unless you have a giant, heavy air cooler or seriously large gpu where weight vs momentum becomes an issue.

Banging across the room? Nada. There's less vibrations than a loud stereo bass thump.