[SOLVED] Wondering if it's worth it to upgrade from 1080 to 1440?

Jeff Kaos

Distinguished
Right now I'm doing all my gaming on what's basically a "work" monitor. It's a 27" 1080 monitor with 60Hz refresh speed. My PC has an i5 6600k CPU and a GTX 1070 Gaming X GPU. I'm thinking of upgrading my monitor to get something with a higher refresh rate and possibly a better resolution but I'm not looking to spend more than $400. I have my eye on this LG Monitor at Amazon that seems to have all the features I want. But I was wondering if going to a higher resolution with my hardware is worth it. I'm not really looking to upgrade my rig for a few more years so I wonder if I would be better off getting something with a 1080 resolution for a lot less money? I don't know much about displays so I don't know if my GTX 1070 would really do well at 1440. I know it's "sweet spot" is 1080 but it can go up to 4K. If anyone has any suggestions or advice I'd really appreciate it. Right now my biggest desire is getting a higher FPS and the best visual quality at the optimal resolution.

Last edited:
Solution
Right now I'm doing all my gaming on what's basically a "work" monitor. It's a 27" 1080 monitor with 75Hz refresh speed. My PC has an i5 6600k CPU and a GTX 1070 Gaming X GPU. I'm thinking of upgrading my monitor to get something with a higher refresh rate and possibly a better resolution but I'm not looking to spend more than $400. I have my eye on this LG Monitor at Amazon that seems to have all the features I want. But I was wondering if going to a higher resolution with my hardware is worth it. I'm not really looking to upgrade my rig for a few more years so I wonder if I would be better off getting something with a 1080 resolution for a lot less money? I don't know much about displays so I don't know if my GTX 1070 would...
Right now I'm doing all my gaming on what's basically a "work" monitor. It's a 27" 1080 monitor with 75Hz refresh speed. My PC has an i5 6600k CPU and a GTX 1070 Gaming X GPU. I'm thinking of upgrading my monitor to get something with a higher refresh rate and possibly a better resolution but I'm not looking to spend more than $400. I have my eye on this LG Monitor at Amazon that seems to have all the features I want. But I was wondering if going to a higher resolution with my hardware is worth it. I'm not really looking to upgrade my rig for a few more years so I wonder if I would be better off getting something with a 1080 resolution for a lot less money? I don't know much about displays so I don't know if my GTX 1070 would really do well at 1440. I know it's "sweet spot" is 1080 but it can go up to 4K. If anyone has any suggestions or advice I'd really appreciate it. Right now my biggest desire is getting a higher FPS at the optimal resolution.
RX 580 guy here with a 1440p monitor. I use medium graphics settings for my games and can get 60fps so you shouldn't have any issues. Oh and 1440p has a TON more pixels. 1080p has 2,073,600 pixels, where 1440p has 3,686,400 pixels. So it's a HUGE difference, and if somebody says it isn't noticeable especially when gaming they might just be blind. I get just as much fps as I did at 1080p since I just lower graphics settings that can be lower like anti aliasing etc since I got more pixels. I also usually turn down settings like effects, reflections, shadows, etc to low and keep textures and render resolution at max and render distance at medium and anti aliasing usually 2x. (Don't use FXAA since it makes your game blurrier) My dad used to have a 1070 and would use it in 1440p as well and it worked swell. Don't expect max graphics settings on demanding games though ;p Although lowering settings doesn't matter since you get more resolution. I'd prefer having a 1440p display while using medium/low graphics settings versus having a 1080p display and using high/max graphics settings.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS