Question wondering if my cpu will even work with a 3060

Oct 2, 2022
My CPU now is a AMD Phenom II X6 1035T and I'm not entirely sure if it would or not any answers?

Edit;
Its a fairly old prebuilt its a very minimum budget pc i bought off a work friend, prebuilt came out in 2011 i didn't ask him if he had changed anything( I don't think he did)
I'm not sure what the PSU is I think it may be 500w because its never had any problems concerning power, it has 12 gb of ram.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Start by referencing the Motherboard manufacturer's website and look for the QVLs (Qualified Vendors List).

There should listings regarding supported components and configurations.

Details matter.

Oct 2, 2022
It will, but if your goal is higher frame rates, you won't get very far with that CPU.

EDIT: There's also the usual caveats of what PSU you're using and the case you have, but otherwise an RTX 3060 should work on an AM3 board.
so even with the 3060 and my graphics on the lowest i wont get many more frames than i do now?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
This GPU itself is well more expensive than the whole system you are dealing with. You haven't said if you have a GPU now, unless I missed it, but circa 2011 is well outdated now.

Probably a good idea to consider a new build around that GPU rather than to bother installing it in the spec above.

Oct 2, 2022
This GPU itself is well more expensive than the whole system you are dealing with. You haven't said if you have a GPU now, unless I missed it, but circa 2011 is well outdated now.

Probably a good idea to consider a new build around that GPU rather than to bother installing it in the spec above.
dont have that type of money considering im only in highschool, maybe ill get a new cpu but i cant afford much more than that

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
To be fair, you risk damaging the new GPU and likely will realize very little of the performance from it.

If you are buying this, I would consider it a what, $300+ value towards a newer system?

What performance target or task are you working towards?

so even with the 3060 and my graphics on the lowest i wont get many more frames than i do now?
Yes.

dont have that type of money considering im only in highschool, maybe ill get a new cpu but i cant afford much more than that
Then save your money until you can afford a completely new system. I don't see a point in buying a modern video card for a system that old.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Will it work ? Yes
Will it work WELL or will you gain anything FR wise - most certainly NOT !

There is absolutely ZERO point in putting a 3060 in that antique machine..... unless you just feel like wasting your money, time & effort...

Oct 2, 2022
Will it work ? Yes
Will it work WELL or will you gain anything FR wise - most certainly NOT !

There is absolutely ZERO point in putting a 3060 in that antique machine..... unless you just feel like wasting your money, time & effort...
the most money i spent on it was 2 4gb sticks of ram because when i got it, it only had 8gb and yk cant do much nowadays with 8gb of ram. But i wont put any money into it unless its a part i really need