Question Wondering if my motherboard will be compatible with new 4 TB WD Blue Internal HDD.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Hi there,

I have a P8H61-M (LGA 1155) Motherboard that has four SATA 2 (3GB) ports, two of which are occupied at the moment(one by the CD/DVD disk drive and the other by the 1TB internal hard drive).

I was hoping to purchase a new WD Blue 4TB internal hard drive and install it inside the case of my PC so that I will have a total of 5TB of storage.
When installing the new HDD I was hoping to connect it to one of the remaining two SATA 2 (3GB) ports but I'm just wondering will the WD Blue hard drive be compatible with my SATA 2 ports?

Any helpful information would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Brendan

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Thanks for the response. I've been told on Amazon answers(on the WD Blue item listing) that "I will need to convert the WD Blue HDD to GPT when I format to be able to use all 4TB if I am are using Windows".

Does anyone know what is meant by this? I looked up GPT on Youtube and it seems to be related to hard drive partitioning but I don't fully understand how it related to the 4TB WD Blue drive.