Question Wondering if my PC is just bricked.

Jun 14, 2020
So recently I've begun using my relatively old PC (2016) if I'm not mistaken, just for drawing art digitally. After using it for a bit, it would suddenly just completely shut off. It would be making as much noise as it usually does before shutting off at random as well. So I thought I'd clean out dust from everything with pressurized air and try to manage the cables a lot more nicely so that it may perform better and just last longer. I also tried my best to ground myself everytime before putting my hands back inside my case as well. However, when I turned it on, it would do only just that. Turn on. Nothing else would happen. No boot up sequence, no RGB light up on keyboard or mouse, monitor would detect a power source but there would be nothing displayed. I pose the question, is my PC just done? I've seen other threads saying that it might be the power supply (EVGA 600 B 600W) and while I'm open to just getting a totally new PSU, I can't test and see if its the problem. I'm now wondering what is should do. Anything helps.

I have disconnected all peripherals & power cables, taken out the CMOS battery, waited 10 mins, put it back in the same way it was and put everything back in. Nothing has changed.
2016 is not that old, it should still work. Can you list the parts in your PC?
Is it possible the compressed air blew dirt into one of the PCIe slots, RAM slots or power connectors, preventing a proper connection?

Jun 14, 2020
2016 is not that old, it should still work. Can you list the parts in your PC?
Is it possible the compressed air blew dirt into one of the PCIe slots, RAM slots or power connectors, preventing a proper connection?
Specs are:
AMD FX 8320 8-Core 3.5ghz, 16.0 mb total cache
MSI 970 mobo
ASUS GeForce GTX 960
2 x 640 GB Hard Drives
4 x 4 GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance)
EVGA 600 B 600W PSU
That should be about it? I can recheck all ports for any misaligned connections.

Specs are:
AMD FX 8320 8-Core 3.5ghz, 16.0 mb total cache
MSI 970 mobo
ASUS GeForce GTX 960
2 x 640 GB Hard Drives
4 x 4 GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance)
EVGA 600 B 600W PSU
That should be about it? I can recheck all ports for any misaligned connections.
The 640 GB Hard Drives are likely much older than 2016. Try booting with the 2 HDDS's disconnected to see if you can get into the BIOS.

Reactions: eeballyy
Jun 14, 2020
I am still wondering if dust, lint or pet hairs got into the motherboards slot when you cleaned the PC with pressurized air. Did you remove all the parts from the motherboard when you cleaned it?
I did not remove the graphics card or the CPU cooler. Theres wasnt a lot of dust on the graphics card and I dont have thermal paste to reapply the cooler. ive cleaned it before just not as thoroughly this time.

Jun 14, 2020
I have just reread you original post. You said "It would be making as much noise as it usually does before shutting off at random as well." It is not clear to me what you are saying, could you explain that part again?
With that, I meant it wouldnt be making any irregular noises or having the fans whirring any faster.

Jun 14, 2020
With that, I meant it wouldnt be making any irregular noises or having the fans whirring any faster.
Youre probably going to stop replying to this, I thought I'd go ahead and remove the CPU cooler to clean it out and removed the cooler with the CPU still attatched. Its basically glued onto the cooler with how much paste was applied. I'm really close to giving up and throwing this all away.

Youre probably going to stop replying to this, I thought I'd go ahead and remove the CPU cooler to clean it out and removed the cooler with the CPU still attatched. Its basically glued onto the cooler with how much paste was applied. I'm really close to giving up and throwing this all away.
I had the same problem with the CPU stuck solid to the cooler. To get them apart while the CPU is still in the socket, twist the cooler off in a circular motion, instead of pulling straight up.

TRENDING THREADS