Question Wondering if my RAM upgrade is worth it?

Toofunator

Commendable
Dec 4, 2019
Hi,
I have a Ryzen 3700x build with MSI X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard. I had initially paired it with a
Teamforce T Hawk DARK Z 3200Mhz DDR4 GAMING MEMORY with CL16-18-18-38 Timings with XMP 2.0
However, being the novice RAM tweaker that I am, was unable to push it further using the Ryzen Mem Calculator and Taiphun Software combo route.
This led me to a knee jerk reaction to buy a faster speed from Patriot
Viper Steel Series DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 4133MHz Kit with tested Tested Timings: 19-21-21-41 with XMP 2.0
Now, as I am waiting delivery for my RAM, i had the chance to cooldown and readup a little bit more and discover that the recommended "sweetspot" for AMD 3000 series is around 3600-3733, whereby the infinity fabric multiplier is still 2:1, and any subsequent increase in the RAM frequency is diminishing returns.
So my question is, should I underclock this ram to 3733Mhz to atttain tighter timings? And if so, how would one go about it given the 2 XMP profiles that come with is are for 4133Mhz and 4000Mhz only.
Any help on this is muchos appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to wait out the purchase to arrive, drop them into your platform and then try things out step by step, i.e overclock and see if you make any progress and then see if the ram kit you have likes to have it's timings tightened.

That being said, couldn't you have kept the existing ram kit and tried tighter ram timings in BIOS, after making sure you're on the latest BIOS update? X.M.P is a memory overclocking profile meant for dummies, so it's more of a set it and forget it feature. What you're asking for is manually inputting timings, frequency and the voltage to get to X/Y/Z point.

Reactions: Toofunator
Hi,
I have a Ryzen 3700x build with MSI X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard. I had initially paired it with a
Teamforce T Hawk DARK Z 3200Mhz DDR4 GAMING MEMORY with CL16-18-18-38 Timings with XMP 2.0
However, being the novice RAM tweaker that I am, was unable to push it further using the Ryzen Mem Calculator and Taiphun Software combo route.
This led me to a knee jerk reaction to buy a faster speed from Patriot
Viper Steel Series DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 4133MHz Kit with tested Tested Timings: 19-21-21-41 with XMP 2.0
Now, as I am waiting delivery for my RAM, i had the chance to cooldown and readup a little bit more and discover that the recommended "sweetspot" for AMD 3000 series is around 3600-3733, whereby the infinity fabric multiplier is still 2:1, and any subsequent increase in the RAM frequency is diminishing returns.
So my question is, should I underclock this ram to 3733Mhz to atttain tighter timings? And if so, how would one go about it given the 2 XMP profiles that come with is are for 4133Mhz and 4000Mhz only.
Any help on this is muchos appreciated!
Although you maybe shouldn't have bothered with that fast RAM, that "sweet spot" is more price vise, I would let that new RAM run full speed when you already have it. Faster frequency and faster FCLK can compensate for higher latency quite a bit.

Reactions: Toofunator