Question wondering what i should do with my ram

HomeMadeScience

Prominent
Sep 3, 2019
so i currently have
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory also my mother board is a gigabyte b450m ds3h and ryzen 5 2600 with rx 480
so
i would like to upgrade and change speeds to 3200 (or the highest speeds) and have 16gb 2x8 of ram so im trying to decide if i should buy new ram 16 gb 3200 or do i buy the exact same ram and make it quad so 2400 16gb 4x4 would that even work and would it improve anything.
option 1 3200 16 gb 2x8
option 2 2400 16 gb 4x4
so price wise well lets not blow the bank i dont need fance rgb to boost the cost just the normal would do for me.
getting back to it so i would like my pc to be able to run more at once and be able to run stuff faster option 1 and 2 would work for that but to think about the future option 1 would be better as i could just buy another set of 2x8 for a total of 4x8

so the real question is whats better and how much would it improve my performance and would it be worth it

thank you for taking your time to help me with this issue

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Are you regularly running out of system memory? More memory really only helps if it is getting used. 16GB is the typical recommendation because of pricing and that some applications can use that much memory. Most games don't, though that is slowly changing.

As for faster memory, have you tried overclocking what you have? Might not be able to reach 3200Mhz, but you might be able to coax it to 2666Mhz or maybe even 2933Mhz. Might not have the tightest timings when you are done, but Ryzen does like faster memory.

Yes, you can generally get identical or close to identical memory sticks and run a 4x4GB configuration. Not a 100% guarantee, but it is pretty rare that it won't work at all. Particularly with only 2400Mhz.

HomeMadeScience

Prominent
Sep 3, 2019
im just a little special thats all really so let me explain right now im using 5.9 gb out of the 8gb and its at 74% at idle using fire fox bit defender the usaul .
me being a little special i would like it not to be like you only have this amount left for example if i had 16gb of ram it would be at idk 23% or something. what im trying to say is i would like it to look more flexiable and have more free space to do things
oh and right now im usimg xmp i think the system overclock. was 2133 xmp 2400

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
It sounds like you have way too much going on in the background.
I'd take a look at the startup tab on Task manager and Disable any apps that you don't need running all the time.

And as far as the RAM question you could try and OC your current RAM to 2800 or 2866 or possibly 2933 using Thaiphoon Burner and the DRAM Calculator:

OR just get a 16 GB kit of 3200 MHz RAM that is stated as being compatible with your motherboard by the RAM Manufacturer.

If you even get the 2400 MHZ RAM to work with 3200 MHZ RAM it would all only run at the slower speed (2400 MHZ).
So you would loose the performance gain of the 3200 MHZ kit.

HomeMadeScience

Prominent
Sep 3, 2019
thank you i think i will go with buying new 3200 2x8 as i dont want to use this thaiphoon i would rather do it safer . any suggestions on the ram i should buy ?

the ram i will be removing im going to put aside i have a spare amd 1600 and gpu im gonna save for a spare build