[SOLVED] Wondering what this little fiddle is? :)

Sep 4, 2018
So...for 8-10 years this controller has been in my PC-stash box and every time ive opened ive been thinking" what IS this thing actually for" haha. Initially i thought it was a fan controller...but how would that work since there is only one cable? :p Hoping someone can crunch this mystery for me :)

Solution
Some fans (I have few of those) have separate cable with 2 male pins for LED lights on them. From factory they come with connector to short those two pins and than lights are on. Without it LEDs are off so connecting a variable resistor to it would dim them.
Sep 4, 2018
but it turns in a smooth rotation....just like a dimmer switch and it has no on/off clicks in itself...only smooth dimming....it neither has a OFF position.....?

Sep 4, 2018
I thought so aswell at first , but...how does it regulate in such a way...its only has 2 wires that are either the I or the O wires...i am guessing that is the IN wire of somekind...how does it send voltage back after it has been dimmed? haha...this is what is puzzling me :)

Some fans (I have few of those) have separate cable with 2 male pins for LED lights on them. From factory they come with connector to short those two pins and than lights are on. Without it LEDs are off so connecting a variable resistor to it would dim them.

Solution