Wondering which processor to choose

wizs

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Hey everyone,

I hope you don't mind me asking this question. I am looking to buy a new budget PC. It's only going to be for low level tasks like internet surfing, email, and some photoshop, but I still want it to be quite nippy. The two computers I am looking at having the following processors:

(Intel® Core 2 Duo T5250 processor (1.50GHz, 667MHz FSB, 2MB Cache) - this computer costs £349.99:

AMD Athlon x2 2.10 GHz 512 MB Cache - this computer costs £269.99

If somebody could explain to me the differences and which I should go for, I would be appreciated. Perhaps there is no clear cut answer but AMD appears to be cheaper from what I can see. Is there a reason for this?

Let me know if you need any clarification!

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
AMD usually is cheaper.
The Athlon series is great, as is the Phenom II series.

If you build your PC yourself, you can get better specs for a lower price.

Also, you DO realize that the Core 2 Duo you listen is a laptop processor, right?

wizs

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Hello, thanks for the quick reply!

I didn't know the Core 2 Duo was a laptop one but that makes sense - the computers I am looking at are "space saving PCs" (smaller towers). I can see why they might have done that to save space. I am looking at:

Advent Eco PC - Core 2 Duo T5250 - £349 - PC World
ACER ASX3200/4050 (AMD Athlon x2) - £269.99 - Comet
ACER ASX3200/9100 (AMD Phenom - think it's a quad) at £399 could be a bit pricey for my liking but perhaps at a push. - Comet

I am reluctant to spend £399 for the Phenom so I am looking at the Core 2 or the AMD Athlon x2. If the AMD Athlon X2 is quicker than the Core 2 Duo - considering it's cheaper, do you think that's the best option then?

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
The Core 2 Duo itself is not, just the one you listen (T5250).

The Phenom I series really wasnt that great. If you're looking for prebuilt only, i'd recommend the Athlon X2. The Core 2s are faster but they will cost more, and for what you're doing you will hardly notice a difference.

Athlon won't disappoint you ;p

pat

Expert

The Phenom I serie was not as great as the core2 serie, but still better than the X2 serie in term of performance (I've owned both, still having my Phenom I).In your case, you'll be better erved by the X2. The phenom is a low power one (65W IIRC) and could do good at photoshop with its 4 core, even if clocked slower.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts