[SOLVED] Wondering would there be a significant performance boost if I changed my boot drive from a normal SSD to a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2?

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
So I built my current PC a year ago and decided to use a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB as the boot drive for it.

The motherboard in this PC is a "ASUS Tuf Gaming X570" which I believe has a slot that allows me to install an NVMe drive. I've heard that these kinds of drives are the fastest drives you can get.

But I'm wondering outside of dragging big files(tens of GBs) from one folder to another will I genuinely see that much of a performance boost if I decided to change my boot drive from normal SSD to NVMe? I remember watching a Linus Tech Tips video from months ago and they blind-tested an NVMe drive vs a normal SSD and they didn't find a significant difference between the two.

Can someone who knows about these things give me their opinion on the matter and whether I should even bother to upgrade my current boot drive?

My specs are as follows:
Ryzen 3700x
ASUS X570 Tuf Gaming
16GB Ram
RTX 2070 Super

Thanks!

Solution
Short answer... no.

I also saw that video. Amusing.
Most of what we do is small random I/O and that is not very different, regardless of the ssd type.
The performance of a pcie drive in gen4 mode does look good in synthetic benchmarks.
But, in actuality, you will not notice the difference.
One reason, perhaps, is that sequential processing will also include cpu processing time which may be significant.

If you have the budget and don't mind spending, then go ahead and buy such a device.
I did, and truthfully, I did not notice any real difference.
Short answer... no.

I also saw that video. Amusing.
Most of what we do is small random I/O and that is not very different, regardless of the ssd type.
The performance of a pcie drive in gen4 mode does look good in synthetic benchmarks.
But, in actuality, you will not notice the difference.
One reason, perhaps, is that sequential processing will also include cpu processing time which may be significant.

If you have the budget and don't mind spending, then go ahead and buy such a device.
I did, and truthfully, I did not notice any real difference.

Reactions: realghostbuster
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
The difference between HDD and SSD is/was huge.
The difference between different types of SSD, not so huge.

In my personal use and testing:
Various SATA III SSD (incl an 860 EVO just like yours), and an Intel 660p.
The 660p benchmark is almost 4x that of the SATA III drives.

In my personal use of Adobe Lightroom, I see ZERO difference. Not just 'feels like', but actually timed and tested.
At the time of that test....5 year old 250GB 840 EVO, 1 year old 660p, 6 month old 860 EVO.
ZERO difference. A function that took 15 secs with the old 840 EVO also took 15 secs with the 860 or 660p.

Depending on what you use the system for, you may see ZERO difference.

The rest of the system and what you're doing has major impact.

So I built my current PC a year ago and decided to use a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB as the boot drive for it.

The motherboard in this PC is a "ASUS Tuf Gaming X570" which I believe has a slot that allows me to install an NVMe drive. I've heard that these kinds of drives are the fastest drives you can get.

But I'm wondering outside of dragging big files(tens of GBs) from one folder to another will I genuinely see that much of a performance boost if I decided to change my boot drive from normal SSD to NVMe? I remember watching a Linus Tech Tips video from months ago and they blind-tested an NVMe drive vs a normal SSD and they didn't find a significant difference between the two.

Can someone who knows about these things give me their opinion on the matter and whether I should even bother to upgrade my current boot drive?

My specs are as follows:
Ryzen 3700x
ASUS X570 Tuf Gaming
16GB Ram
RTX 2070 Super

Thanks!
BTDT.......save your money.
Not many users will see a difference with that swap.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
As others have responded, I am in agreement. Only switch to other tech when you have the money, but don't make it a point to focus your cash where it could be better suited elsewhere, like additional RAM or better CPU, if you were for instance, building a system with used parts...use that cash for memory and CPU....and motherboard if you need it.