Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Build:
CPU: i5-3570k with stock fan
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX600 600 watt
RAM: G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 960
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 (bought a couple weeks ago, installed Windows 7 from disc bought in 2012)
HDD: Wester Digital Caviar Black 7200 RPM (originally had OS installed here, but when I added the SSD a couple weeks ago I reformatted this drive to use as extra media storage)

A couple days ago, my computer was turn off (not by me) by flipping the switch on the PSU. Before that, everything worked fine as far as I can tell. Since then, whenever I press the power button the following sequence happens
1. CPU fan, case fans, and LEDs power on for a second or two then turn off. Then they restart and the computer tries to boot
2. POST screen (Gigabyte logo, text on the bottom that says f12 for boot menu, del for bios, etc) displays for about 2 or 3 minutes. During this time, there is a single, short beep from the computer every 30 seconds or so.
3. Screen goes completely black (no cursor, no nothing) Instead of displaying the "Loading Windows" screen and stays that way for as long as I leave it sit.

This pattern occurs regardless of whether or not I have both drives, one or the other, or neither drive connected. I cannot enter BIOS with my normal Razer USB keyboard or with an old ps2 keyboard. It will not boot from the CD drive if I have the Windows disc in the drive. There's nothing I can find that changes this pattern at all.

Here's a video of what happens (video cuts off before the black screen appears, but it's literally a solid black screen with nothing happening): [video="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3dxQQMhLec"][/video]

Longknife

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

I have, and it's no help. And it was turned off by the switch because Spybot was repeatedly popping up an error message (Something about access violation) while/after downloading an update (I had to leave for work before it finished), and she couldn't figure out how to get it to stop.

Since the CMOS reset was unsuccessful, maybe try re-seating PSU connectors, RAM, GPU, ect. I know it really shouldn't change things, but why not give it a try. Possible surge or some sort when the power was cutoff like that? Hopefully nothing was damaged. Try using 1 DIMM at a time?

Longknife

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

I spent the afternoon taking nearly everything out of the case and making sure all the cables were plugged in properly and securely. I have not tried booting with only one stick of RAM at a time, so I'll try that. I'm starting to worry that maybe something did get damaged because I'd rather not pay to replace anything, but that might be the best way out of this crap.

Just read your newest post. Any luck w/ testing RAM 1 stick at a time? If that doesn't help, and you said before this power shut-off using the main power button, everything was working fine, it may be indeed that something was damaged. Is there any mention of the beep code diagnostics in your motherboard manual? Based on your description and provided video, it seems like your system is chewing on something during POST and causing it to get stuck. Tried booting using onboard video instead of the 960?

Longknife

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

When I got home from work, first tried rotating one stick of ram. Didn't do anything.

Then I took out the video card and tried to boot using onboard video. It gave me a blue screen and error message reading "The main BIOS is corrupted. The system will be recovered from the Backup BIOS. Please DO NOT turn off power or reset the system. This may take a few minutes."

So I let that run, and now everything seems to be working fine with the video card and all of my different drives reconnected. Not sure at all why I couldn't recover from the backup BIOS with the video card connected, but whatever. It works now. Thanks