Wont boot form usb

wingman99

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
not sure if this was the right form to post this in but...
my friend bought a computer. we get all the parts in the mail, build it, go to install windows and the external dvd drive will just stop working near the beginning. so we decide to install windows from a usb flash drive. I have tried just about everything I can think of and nothing works. I have tried using the "windows usb/dvd download tool" and cant get past the "invalid iso" error. its a 8gb PNY flash drive. the computer recognizes it as a boot device. if i go into the BIOS and set the usb to "forced fdd" and try to boot form it the screen will just stop all black with the little flashing line thingy (cant think of what its called lol) if i change it to anything else i get the "BOOTMGR is missing"

motherboard: Gigabyte 970a-ud3
processer: AMD FX 3.8ghz
ram: 4GBs
graphics card: geforce gt 640

thanks!

Solution
Also change the option in the bios to something other than FDD,Floppy disk drive, that does not seem to work correctly or at least it never does for me.

Also change the default boot drive in the BIOS to the Hard Drive or SSD you are going to install the OS on and use the BIOS boot menu to choose the USB stick to install Windows on. For that you would press F8 F11 or F12 or such during the POST and then choose the USB stick for the install. I have found on my system that setting the USB stick to USB hard drive works fine.
Also change the option in the bios to something other than FDD,Floppy disk drive, that does not seem to work correctly or at least it never does for me.

Also change the default boot drive in the BIOS to the Hard Drive or SSD you are going to install the OS on and use the BIOS boot menu to choose the USB stick to install Windows on. For that you would press F8 F11 or F12 or such during the POST and then choose the USB stick for the install. I have found on my system that setting the USB stick to USB hard drive works fine.

Solution