Question Won't boot to BIOS after installing Ryzen 5600. Do I need a new motherboard?

diegoccantarutti

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
I broke my old CPU (bent pins when taking out the cooler) so I bought a Ryzen 5600 to replace, however it requires a BIOS update to work on my motherboard but I can't even get into the BIOS to update with M-Flash.
I didn't know that before buying the new CPU I assumed I would be able to at least go into the BIOS even if it is not compatible.

Is there any solution other than buying a new motherboard that is already compatible with the Ryzen 5600? If I have to buy a new motherboard how do I know it is compatible without needing a BIOS update so I don't run into this same problem?

Specs

MSI x370 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 5 5600
GTX 1070ti

Worth noting, although I think it's a different issue with that other GTX 1070ti owners have. I had problems with "no signal" before changing CPU but at least it would boot to BIOS and after a few times switching off and on it would boot to windows.

diegoccantarutti

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
AMD offers/offered a service where they'd send you a compatible CPU in order to update your BIOS. Information is available on AMD website.

Or see if local PC shop will update. Or have a friend with a 3xxx CPU. Or buy a new motherboard.
Do you have any recommendations on good value motherboards that would be compatible to the 5600 out of the box? Preferably one that could also handle a GPU upgrade in the future.

TRENDING THREADS