Won't boot when changing RAM to correct speeds

bags159

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I got RAM rated at 3200 mhz and 16 18 18 36 timings 1.35v. My motherboard (Msi z170 SLI plus) defaults it to 2133 15 15 15 36 1.35 v. If I change it to anything else I can't boot. I changed the speed, timings and voltages to the RAM specifications and it doesn't boot. I tried slower speeds 2400 2666 28000 3000 and same result. Am I forgetting to change something? Also turned on xmp.

Solution
Do you have the latest BIOS? If not get that, they are constantly updating the DRAM info in the BIOS for compatibility. Also what CPU? Prob going to need a K model CPU torun 3200 and it may require a bit of an OC on the CPU to help the MC carry the DRAM at 3200

InvalidError

Titan
If you increase the frequency, you usually need to increase the timings too.

Not every RAM+MoBo+CPU combination will be able to reliably achieve non-standard memory speeds, that's why such speeds are only achievable through overclocking. The DDR4 DIMM standard is not even defined yet for speeds above 2400MT/s, so any speeds beyond that are provided to the DRAM manufacturers' best approximation of what the standard should be like at those speeds, same for motherboard manufacturers who claim "official support" for such speeds.

So, when you stack DRAM with approximate high speed support with motherboard with approximate high speed support and a CPU which does not officially support such speeds, that's a lot of things that can potentially go wrong.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Do you have the latest BIOS? If not get that, they are constantly updating the DRAM info in the BIOS for compatibility. Also what CPU? Prob going to need a K model CPU torun 3200 and it may require a bit of an OC on the CPU to help the MC carry the DRAM at 3200

Solution

bags159

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Oh shit, I forgot to install BIOS updates from the DISK or their site, lol. 6700k.

Well, that's the weirdest thing. I got the computer to boot with the correct RAM speeds. And I got the computer to boot with an OC. But if I OC and put on RAM speesd to the proper amounts, it won't boot. Gonna download the drivers on my laptop and install them on my new PC first though.

bags159

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

6700k CPU.

It defaults to 15 15 15 36 @ 2133 1.2V and the specs on my ram are 15 16 16 36 @ 3200 1.35v. If I change any of the settings, it wasn't working. However, I turned off XMP and now it's working. But if I OC, it won't boot. If I OC without ram changes, it boots.

Gonna update my bios DRIVERS and see if that helps, I forgot to