Won't boot with 8gb Crucial module

nervousisotope

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
I had a few issues getting the new 8gb module to work initially, but I did so and it has been working fine and booting for the past couple of weeks.
This morning my dad came down in a rage and pulled the 3 pin plug from my PSU while it was on.
My motherboard did three long beeps and powered off.
I plugged it back in and it didn't boot. All the hardware worked fine, as the HDD was spinning up and the CPU fan came on.
I removed the new memory module and it booted fine.
I don't know what to do now. Do I change something in BIOS or replace my module? I can't play any games without having 12gb (my other memory consists of 2x 2gb ddr3 from a different manufacturer to my new one)
I am using a HP FXN1 Handel Rev. B motherboard and Intel i5 2400k CPU.

Solution
First of all, never piss your Parents!

Clear your CMOS. Try booting up by just using the New 8Gb RAM. If it works, then RAM should be fine. After that remove the new RAM, and insert the old ones. Now, go into BIOS and manually change the ram frequency and the timings to that of your 2Gb RAM. Save changes reboot, and see if everything is working fine. Then turn off PC. Insert new RAM and see if it works. Reply back.

PS: Be sure to turn off PC completely wherever you are changing RAM.

tshrjain

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
First of all, never piss your Parents!

Clear your CMOS. Try booting up by just using the New 8Gb RAM. If it works, then RAM should be fine. After that remove the new RAM, and insert the old ones. Now, go into BIOS and manually change the ram frequency and the timings to that of your 2Gb RAM. Save changes reboot, and see if everything is working fine. Then turn off PC. Insert new RAM and see if it works. Reply back.

PS: Be sure to turn off PC completely wherever you are changing RAM.

Solution

nervousisotope

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
It seems that there's no way to change my RAM frequency in BIOS. ;-;
I guess what I will have to do is just buy another module of the same variety as my 8gb card.
I'm sure my dad will comply as he broke it for pretty much no reason.

TRENDING THREADS