jobsearchpaul

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2016
I noticed that my computer was no longer able to see my DVD drive, even though it still had power and all the cables were still connected securely, and I found multiple sites suggesting uninstalling the ATA Channel 0 and ATA Channel 1 drivers from the device manager and rebooting, supposedly they would be reinstalled upon reboot, but now that hard drive will not boot at all and I can't even repair it with a Windows 10 installation USB. Is there anyway to see if those drivers were reinstalled or to reinstall them on the hard drive even though it won't boot? I can plug in the drive as an external to my laptop and access all my files just fine, I can also boot up my year old clone of the drive in the main computer, so I don't think it is a hardware problem. Any Suggestions would be appreciated.

On a side note: the cloned drive can't see the DVD drive either but that is secondary at this point.

Jul 30, 2019
Hi,

Maybe try going into your device manager and uninstalling any drivers that are used by the hardware to see if that helps. also, I would recommend going into your computer management/disk manager and ensure that the drives have a drive letter assigned let me know how you go.

jobsearchpaul

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2016
Hi,

Maybe try going into your device manager and uninstalling any drivers that are used by the hardware to see if that helps. also, I would recommend going into your computer management/disk manager and ensure that the drives have a drive letter assigned let me know how you go.

The problem is that I can't even boot into that hard drive anymore so I can't get the device manager for that drive nor can I open the Dick Manager since I can't get into windows in the first place. When I plug it in as an external it is automatically given a drive letter.

Jul 24, 2019
Well ATA drivers are kinda important for the reading of any SATA input. Does your BIOS show that a drive and DVD rom is connected ? If so i would recommend trying to boot into safe mode. If the drives doesnt show...unplug all sata connectors...boot up...shutdown and plug the SATA cables back again. If the BIOS still doesnt show the drives you can look towards resetting the BIOS to default settings and see what happens.

Generally safe boot will fix your ATA issue.

jobsearchpaul

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2016
Well ATA drivers are kinda important for the reading of any SATA input. Does your BIOS show that a drive and DVD rom is connected ? If so i would recommend trying to boot into safe mode. If the drives doesnt show...unplug all sata connectors...boot up...shutdown and plug the SATA cables back again. If the BIOS still doesnt show the drives you can look towards resetting the BIOS to default settings and see what happens.

Generally safe boot will fix your ATA issue.

Won’t even boot into safe mode and disconnecting and reconnecting Sata cables didn’t work, trying a reinstall now.

jobsearchpaul

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2016
I ended up having to do a clean install to get the hard drive working again, still need to work on the DVD drive but I’ll get to that in a week or 2 once I’ve got everything transferred and installed again.

Update: For anyone who ends up here for the DVD drive problem it turned out that the Sata port on the motherboard went bad and wasn't working anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaSifa