allewyn

Honorable
Sep 28, 2018
New build
MSI AMD B450 Gaming Plus Max
Ryzen 5 3600
Scythe Mugen 5b Cooler
16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz RAM
XPG GAMMIX Gaming SSD S11 Pro Series: 512GB Internal PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 (NVMe)
MSI GeForce Gtx 1650 Super

The system powers up and all 5 fans come on but it doesn't go through the leds and stops with the "boot" led lit and gives 1-long and 2-short beeps from the speaker I installed.
The front panel works except I didn't check the USB 3. The beep codes indicate a video problem but I'm lost now because it's all new. It appears to be trying but...
Any ideas?

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
New build
MSI AMD B450 Gaming Plus Max
Ryzen 5 3600
Scythe Mugen 5b Cooler
16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz RAM
XPG GAMMIX Gaming SSD S11 Pro Series: 512GB Internal PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 (NVMe)
MSI GeForce Gtx 1650 Super

The system powers up and all 5 fans come on but it doesn't go through the leds and stops with the "boot" led lit and gives 1-long and 2-short beeps from the speaker I installed.
The front panel works except I didn't check the USB 3. The beep codes indicate a video problem but I'm lost now because it's all new. It appears to be trying but...
Any ideas?

did you apply any overclocks? Usually, when this happens to me, its an unstable overclock that I had applied. Try clearing your CMOS, and try again.

allewyn

Honorable
Sep 28, 2018
Thanks I haven't done anything yet. The computer has not successfully started yet. I just built it and turned it on and it doesn't even have an OS. I'm new at this would I pull the battery out to clear MOS?

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Thanks I haven't done anything yet. The computer has not successfully started yet. I just built it and turned it on and it doesn't even have an OS. I'm new at this would I pull the battery out to clear MOS?

Yeah, just pull out the battery for a couple minutes and put it back in. That should clear your CMOS.

You said that you haven't POSTed it yet? There might be an issue with your BIOS, and you would have to update it. The B450 chipset was made before ryzen 3000 was released, so your motherboard might not ship with a BIOS capable of handling a 3600. In that case, check with AMD to see if they have a 2nd generation CPU that you could borrow to update the BIOS.

allewyn

Honorable
Sep 28, 2018
Ok I'll pull the battery out and retry. Right it hasn't posted yet I don't know about the BIOS; the box says Ryzen 3000 ready but maybe that not true. I see a manufacture's date of 2005. So I'll have to find a way to use another chip for updates That's what I was working om anyway.

allewyn

Honorable
Sep 28, 2018
Ok I'll pull the battery out and retry. Right it hasn't posted yet I don't know about the BIOS; the box says Ryzen 3000 ready but maybe that not true. I see a manufacture's date of 2005. So I'll have to find a way to use another chip for updates That's what I was working om anyway.
Answering my own post :) As it happens the box says Ryzen 3000 ready but it DOESN'T say check the year of manufacture and replace the CMOS battery if more than 10 years old. My MB was manufactured in 2005! I replaced the battery and this thing got into BIOS like a scalded duck. Thanks everyone!