Won't boot

Lindy

Built a new computer two weeks ago, been running fine until today push the
start button get past the memory check, then a screen comes up with a list
of all possible boot devices starting with floppy, hard drives cd drives and
then locks up. I reboot and the same thing happens, can't even get it to go
into the Bios setup, tried booting from a win 98 boot disk, get the same
problem, I hear a soft clicking sound when it first boots.
ECS 600-A MB
AMD 2500 processor
512 mb DDR400 memory
120 GHz WD drive
Win 98se OS
I did see the words checksum error but it goes by so fast it's difficult to
see it all.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

lindy wrote:

> Built a new computer two weeks ago, been running fine until today push the
> start button get past the memory check, then a screen comes up with a list
> of all possible boot devices starting with floppy, hard drives cd drives and
> then locks up. I reboot and the same thing happens, can't even get it to go
> into the Bios setup, tried booting from a win 98 boot disk, get the same
> problem, I hear a soft clicking sound when it first boots.
> ECS 600-A MB
> AMD 2500 processor
> 512 mb DDR400 memory
> 120 GHz WD drive
> Win 98se OS
> I did see the words checksum error but it goes by so fast it's difficult to
> see it all.
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi,

When you start the machine, is it making any beeping sounds (the machine
should make a single beep for a good POST, and other sequences of
long/short beeps for errors)? If so, post the beep sequence.

I would start to diagnose the problem by pulling everything out except
leave in memory and video card, and keep the monitor and keyboard
plugged in, then try to see if it boots. As kony suggested, you should
probably clear the CMOS, and once you can get into BIOS, do a "set to
default".

Once you can get it to boot with minimum configuration, you can start
adding peripherals back in.

Jim

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:35:03 -0500, "lindy"
<ruthlindy@zinginternet.com> wrote:

>Built a new computer two weeks ago, been running fine until today push the
>start button get past the memory check, then a screen comes up with a list
>of all possible boot devices starting with floppy, hard drives cd drives and
>then locks up. I reboot and the same thing happens, can't even get it to go
>into the Bios setup, tried booting from a win 98 boot disk, get the same
>problem, I hear a soft clicking sound when it first boots.
>ECS 600-A MB
>AMD 2500 processor
>512 mb DDR400 memory
>120 GHz WD drive
>Win 98se OS
>I did see the words checksum error but it goes by so fast it's difficult to
>see it all.
>Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I was under the impression that this menu should only come up if
it can't find viable boot device or a keyboard key is depresed.
Enter bios and disable Halt-on-error (set to "none" or similar)
IF the setting exists, and set floppy (or confirm that it is set
to be) in the bootable device list. Save bios settings, power
off and unplug keyboard and hard drive from motherboard. Insert
bootable floppy and power on system.

You might also check drive cables, power supply voltages
(including the 5VSB (stand-by, sometimes called "FP" power)), and
battery voltage.

Since it showed a checksum error, go into bios and recheck all
settings... even if you change nothing, SAVE and exit bios setup.

If none of the above helps you might try clearing the CMOS
(jumper or pull battery for 10 minutes while AC power is
disconnected from power supply).

Lindy

Thanks guy's the problem was a stuck escape key, freed it up and boots fine,
guess this 80 year old never gets to old to learn.