Wont go past bios splash with alt psu

Bob_129

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
Tried to restore a z68 2500k system with a new power supply.
Had nothing plugged in except for CPU, ram and psu.
I believe the motherboard is dead. As nothing happens when I turn the power on.
I tried my new 650w silverstone gold rated psu in my x99 system.
It powered up, but wouldn't get past the bios splash screen. Can't get into the bios at all.
I just plugged in the mobo, CPU and gpu. Windows is on an m.2 drive. So I didn't worry about plugging in my two other hdd and one ssd.
I also have an nzxt kraken.
I'm thinking the pump and or fans are powered by a molex cable on the other psu, which could be why it doesn't want to go past splash?
But I thought you receive a "no CPU fan" message?
I then plugged in my normal psu back into the x99 system and it booted into windows no worries.

With this information, can anyone tell whether or not my new psu has something wrong with it?

I thought that if you get power and a post the psu is fine? Just strange that it won't go to bios or anything.
I'll probably swap out the entire psu, and plug everything in, which is laborious. Just wanted to see if anyone else had another idea before I do.

Solution
I just plugged in the mobo, CPU and gpu. Windows is on an m.2 drive.
M2 SSD with z68? The Z68 does not support to boot from m2 ssd, even you use it with add-on card. You can use it only for the storage drive.

Try remove the RAM/GPU too, use onboard iGPU, boot the PC with cpu+cooler, plug in the 24-pin and 8-pin cables. If the CPU/MB are fine, you should be able to boot and pass the POST screen.
I just plugged in the mobo, CPU and gpu. Windows is on an m.2 drive.
M2 SSD with z68? The Z68 does not support to boot from m2 ssd, even you use it with add-on card. You can use it only for the storage drive.

Try remove the RAM/GPU too, use onboard iGPU, boot the PC with cpu+cooler, plug in the 24-pin and 8-pin cables. If the CPU/MB are fine, you should be able to boot and pass the POST screen.

Solution