[SOLVED] Won't post after starting without external PCIE power

May 5, 2020
I was working on my computer and I unplugged my graphics card (gtx 1080) to get at some cables.

I restarted the computer once I was done, but I forgot to connect the pcie power cable to the card.

Now, the computer won't post, and my motherboard gives VGA errors when it tries to start.

I checked with an older working card and there isn't anything wrong with the rest of the system.

I cleared the cmos multiple times to no avail. The card worked prior to running it without power.

What do I try now?

Solution
I tried it and I didn't see it in the device manager. I tried it in another computer as well with the same results. It has an ek water block--I cut the flow to it and it didn't seem like it was using any power. It was cold to the touch.
Well, the card is obviously not starting.
Unless you have some sort of warranty to it, you need to take it to a tech for diagnostics.
If you are a tech yourself, I can guide you through some stuff like I did here. If you are not a tech, pls leave it intact - repairing after a bad repair is much harder and more expensive.
Alternatively you can list it on ebay “for parts” and get a new one.

Edit: If you are in the US, you can send it to me with a return label - I may have a look (based on...
May 5, 2020
Can you boot it with internal graphics connected to monitor and this card in the slot, and check the device manager? Might be a third “Code 43” case today...
I tried it and I didn't see it in the device manager. I tried it in another computer as well with the same results. It has an ek water block--I cut the flow to it and it didn't seem like it was using any power. It was cold to the touch.

Well, the card is obviously not starting.
Unless you have some sort of warranty to it, you need to take it to a tech for diagnostics.
If you are a tech yourself, I can guide you through some stuff like I did here. If you are not a tech, pls leave it intact - repairing after a bad repair is much harder and more expensive.
Alternatively you can list it on ebay “for parts” and get a new one.

Edit: If you are in the US, you can send it to me with a return label - I may have a look (based on free time and with no liability). I will not charge you for that, but use it as a guide for others.

Last edited:
Solution