Won't recognize all Space on HD

G

I installed windows 98 II edition. I have a 20gb hard drive, and windows will only recognize 1.99 gb.?/ Do i need partition magic or is their something else that is wrong with it..? helpp.. Thanks

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
What drive is it? How did you partition and format it? What are your BIOS settings set to? What kind of system is it?

<font color=red>1GHz AMD x MSI K7T-Turbo x 512MB PC133 x 2-Maxtor 30GB/RAID 0 = Stream Line Butterfly</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Let me guess, you let windows setup format and partition the drive, right?
You could use something like Partition Magic to make the partitions full sized, or use fdisk/format/reinstall from the Windows CD or Setup disk
Fdisk and Format are in the root directory of the Setup floppy, but for the CD Fdisk is in the root directory and Format is in the Win98 directory. Here's how to do it that way.
Boot from the floppy or CD-Rom.
When the first option comes up, select option 2, start computer with CD support.
When it's done booting it will give you an A:\> prompt, and the message above that tells you the letter assigned to your CD-Rom drive.
If you booted from the CD-Rom, type that letter followed by a collon followed by the enter key (like D:), if you booted from teh floppy leave it at the A: prompt.
type FDISK(enter)
When ask if you want large disk support, hit enter.
Select "delete partion or logical drive" (enter)
Select "delete primary partition" (enter)
follow the instructions, exc to reture to main menu when you've done that.
Select "Creat Partition" (option 1)
follow instructions. Yes, you do want to make the partion full sized and bootable. Verify the correct partion size is shown.
When that's done, esc to exit Fdisk
Restart your computer and bring it to the A:> prompt as before.
If you've booted from the CD drive, change to it as before.
If you've booted from the CD drive, type "cd win98" (enter), otherwise, leave it alone
type "Format c:" (enter)
Type "Y" when ask if you really want to (enter)
It will give you a message such as "formatting 18,899,999 bytes" or something. If it's over 18GB, you've got your full size.
When it's done, reinstall windows by typing "setup" (enter).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

TRENDING THREADS